Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default VLOOKUP

I need to better understand VLOOKUP. I need to map two tables which have
matching zip codes but one does not has less due to less data. Is there a
way to do what the link below does? Basically I am a sumproduct guy happy to
get the total data that comes from what I ask. Now I need text information
from the shorter table that matches numerical data from the larger table.

http://www.ablebits.com/excel-lookup-tables/index.php
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

=VLOOKUP(Key,Table,Column,Type)

Key is the value you want to look up in the first column of Table

Table is a range whose first column contains the values which Key is looking
for, and the other columns are the columns you might want to return.

Column specifices the column number of the column within the table which you
want to return. The first column of a table is always 1.

Type determines whether you are doing and exact match or approximate. In
your case Exact sound more appropriate - FALSE or 0 work for that.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"asg2307" wrote:

I need to better understand VLOOKUP. I need to map two tables which have
matching zip codes but one does not has less due to less data. Is there a
way to do what the link below does? Basically I am a sumproduct guy happy to
get the total data that comes from what I ask. Now I need text information
from the shorter table that matches numerical data from the larger table.

http://www.ablebits.com/excel-lookup-tables/index.php

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"asg2307" wrote:

I need to better understand VLOOKUP. I need to map two tables

which have
matching zip codes but one does not has less due to less data. Is

there a
way to do what the link below does? Basically I am a sumproduct

guy happy to
get the total data that comes from what I ask. Now I need text

information
from the shorter table that matches numerical data from the larger

table.

'Excel - Merge matching rows from Excel tables /lists - lookup

alternative' (http://www.ablebits.com/excel-lookup-tables/index.php)

Yes, the column is part of the table were you draw your values from

Have a look 'here' (http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html) for
more info

HTH

--
Pecoflyer

Cheers -
*'Membership is free' (http://www.thecodecage.com)* & allows file
upload -faster and better answers

*Adding your XL version* to your post helps finding solution faster
Pecoflyer's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=14
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=55902