Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Sorting

I am wanting to do a group sort...i have to rows that need to stay together
when i sort, how can i do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

When you sort, be sure to select all the columns you want to move with the
column you are sorting by.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200828

"heather" wrote:

I am wanting to do a group sort...i have to rows that need to stay together
when i sort, how can i do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

ITEM_CD VC_CD QTY VC_CAUSE_CD
699875 0102802NTUG 1 C15
AAMRLA 0102802NTUG 29 C15
699875 0102802NTZG 1 C44
AAMRLA 0102802NTZG 15 C44
345666 0102802NUCU 1 C3
AAMRLA 0102802NUCU 30 C3
548986 0104802NWPZ 1 C1
AAMRLA 0104802NWPZ 10 C1
699875 0107802OBEX 1 C1
AAMRLA 0107802OBEX 8 C1
699875 0107802OBFA 1 C17
AAMRLA 0107802OBFA 10 C17
462083 0107802OBZY 1 C1
AAMRLA 0107802OBZY 18 C1

gary, these are my columns and rows...I would like to sort the rows but the
smallest number to the largest but keep the AAMRLA under the appropriate
number...is this possible...when i select the area to sort and sort ascending
it sorts the number and then after all numbers it sorts the aamrla's what can
I do?

"heather" wrote:

I am wanting to do a group sort...i have to rows that need to stay together
when i sort, how can i do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I would suggest using a helper column or two so that you can keep the rows
together.
I would also suggest being very careful to save the previous version so that
you can go back to it if you get the sort wrong.
--
David Biddulph

"heather" wrote:

I am wanting to do a group sort...i have to rows that need to stay
together
when i sort, how can i do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Looking at your example your helper column might look something like
=IF(MOD(ROW(),2),A1&B2,A2&B2)
so that you've got the number from column A concatenated with the reference
from column B. Then sort by the new column as primary sort and column A as
secondary. Adjust the process to suit the sort order you want.
--
David Biddulph