Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default I get the wrong answer when subtracting currency.

When calculating a net dollar amount, excell displays the wrong answer.
Example:

B1= $10.00, B2 = $4.34, B3 = $1.22, B4 = formula =B1-B2-B3

The ansxwer should be $4.44, excell displays $4.45.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Are the amounts in B1, B2 and B3 calculated from something? If so, there
might be more decimal places than you have displayed. Increase the number of
decimal places and see if it is a rounding problem.

Dave

"Midwest" wrote:

When calculating a net dollar amount, excell displays the wrong answer.
Example:

B1= $10.00, B2 = $4.34, B3 = $1.22, B4 = formula =B1-B2-B3

The ansxwer should be $4.44, excell displays $4.45.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I get 4.4400. Whenever weird stuff happens, I try things like =trim() or
something along those lines. Maybe you have a little speck of some other
type of data in one of those cells. I suppose you could check the rounding
of B1, B2, and B3; sometimes what is 'displayed' in a cell is not really what
is in the cell.

Regards,
Ryan---

--
RyGuy

"Midwest" wrote:

When calculating a net dollar amount, excell displays the wrong answer.
Example:

B1= $10.00, B2 = $4.34, B3 = $1.22, B4 = formula =B1-B2-B3

The ansxwer should be $4.44, excell displays $4.45.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 08:18:14 -0800, Midwest
wrote:

When calculating a net dollar amount, excell displays the wrong answer.
Example:

B1= $10.00, B2 = $4.34, B3 = $1.22, B4 = formula =B1-B2-B3

The ansxwer should be $4.44, excell displays $4.45.

If B1:B3 truly contained the values you posted, Excel would display 4.44

So B1:B3 do NOT contain the values you posted. The cells may display the
values you posted, but that is merely a matter of cell formatting and
formatting generally does not affect the underlying value.

How are the values in B1:B3 obtained? What shows in the formula bar when you
click on B1, B2 and B3?
--ron