Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
RP3 RP3 is offline

Default How do I count nonblanks in column A when I filter by column B

I am using COUNTA in column A to count nonblanks. However, when I Autofilter
the sheet by Column B, the COUNTA in column A is unaffected. Example:

A B
Tim Kitchen
Bob Kitchen
Kitchen
John Floor
Floor
Carrie Floor

COUNTA shows "4" for column A.

When I filter the sheet by column B for "Kitchen":

A B
Tim Kitchen
Bob Kitchen
Kitchen

COUNTA still shows "4" for column A.

Is there a way to count nonblanks in column A when I filter by column B?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Instead of:

COUNTA(

use this:

SUBTOTAL(3,

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jan 13, 4:23*pm, RP3 wrote:
I am using COUNTA in column A to count nonblanks. *However, when I Autofilter
the sheet by Column B, the COUNTA in column A is unaffected. *Example:

A * * * * * B
Tim * * * Kitchen
Bob * * * Kitchen
* * * * * * Kitchen
John * * *Floor
* * * * * * *Floor
Carrie * *Floor

COUNTA shows "4" for column A.

When I filter the sheet by column B for "Kitchen":

A * * * * * B
Tim * * * Kitchen
Bob * * * Kitchen
* * * * * * Kitchen

COUNTA still shows "4" for column A. *

Is there a way to count nonblanks in column A when I filter by column B?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Instead of:

=COUNTA(A:A)

USE:

=SUBTOTAL(3,A:A)

On filtered lists.
--

HTH,

RD

"RP3" wrote in message
I am using COUNTA in column A to count nonblanks. However, when I
Autofilter
the sheet by Column B, the COUNTA in column A is unaffected. Example:

A B
Tim Kitchen
Bob Kitchen
Kitchen
John Floor
Floor
Carrie Floor

COUNTA shows "4" for column A.

When I filter the sheet by column B for "Kitchen":

A B
Tim Kitchen
Bob Kitchen
Kitchen

COUNTA still shows "4" for column A.

Is there a way to count nonblanks in column A when I filter by column B?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
RP3 RP3 is offline

Excellent!! Thanks for your help!

"Pete_UK" wrote:

Instead of:

COUNTA(

use this:

SUBTOTAL(3,

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jan 13, 4:23 pm, RP3 wrote:
I am using COUNTA in column A to count nonblanks. However, when I Autofilter
the sheet by Column B, the COUNTA in column A is unaffected. Example:

A B
Tim Kitchen
Bob Kitchen
Kitchen
John Floor
Floor
Carrie Floor

COUNTA shows "4" for column A.

When I filter the sheet by column B for "Kitchen":

A B
Tim Kitchen
Bob Kitchen
Kitchen

COUNTA still shows "4" for column A.

Is there a way to count nonblanks in column A when I filter by column B?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
RP3 RP3 is offline

Excellent!! Thanks for your help!

"RagDyeR" wrote:

Instead of:

=COUNTA(A:A)

USE:

=SUBTOTAL(3,A:A)

On filtered lists.
--

HTH,

RD

"RP3" wrote in message
I am using COUNTA in column A to count nonblanks. However, when I
Autofilter
the sheet by Column B, the COUNTA in column A is unaffected. Example:

A B
Tim Kitchen
Bob Kitchen
Kitchen
John Floor
Floor
Carrie Floor

COUNTA shows "4" for column A.

When I filter the sheet by column B for "Kitchen":

A B
Tim Kitchen
Bob Kitchen
Kitchen

COUNTA still shows "4" for column A.

Is there a way to count nonblanks in column A when I filter by column B?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You're welcome - thanks for feeding back.

Pete