Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default If statment help needed

OK, I hope that I can explain this properly.

I have an excel workbook with 2 worksheets. The purpose of this worksheet
is to keep track of labels that I make for various people. So the first
sheet has label information and the second sheet has label specification (for
ex. a legal folder will use an avery 5161 label. What I am hoping to do is
create an if statement. One column in worksheet 1 is file type. The choices
are legal, letter, redwell. I want an if statement so that when the file
type is entered, it will automatically look into spreadsheet 2 and give what
label should be used. Makes sense? I hope so.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It does depend on the structure of your sheet 2 if in column A of sheet
2 it has the file type eg legal, then in column B you have the label
type eg 5156, then you could use data validation drop down in your
sheet1 column A and use *=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE)* in B1 sheet1
and copy down, then whenever choosing from the dropdowns in columnA you
will get the correct lable.

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=47242

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

VLOOKUP with a 2-column table on Sheet2 containing the filetype and label
type

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 13:13:01 -0800, Nydia
wrote:

OK, I hope that I can explain this properly.

I have an excel workbook with 2 worksheets. The purpose of this worksheet
is to keep track of labels that I make for various people. So the first
sheet has label information and the second sheet has label specification (for
ex. a legal folder will use an avery 5161 label. What I am hoping to do is
create an if statement. One column in worksheet 1 is file type. The choices
are legal, letter, redwell. I want an if statement so that when the file
type is entered, it will automatically look into spreadsheet 2 and give what
label should be used. Makes sense? I hope so.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If the File name is typed on cell c1 for example:
on d1 you can have a formula similar to this
=vlookup(c1,sheet2!A1:B25,2,False)
This assumes that you have the File Name in Column A on sheet2 and in Column
B you have the Avery Label Code. Change the Range reference to suit your
needs.
--
If this posting was helpful, please click on the Yes button.
Regards,

Michael Arch.