Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default look up problem

Hi

I have a data table with batch durations along the top from 1 to 36
and start times down the side from 1 to 24. At each intersection of
batch duration (col) and start time (row) there is a value to be
interogated. How do I find the intersection value of a particular
duration (col) and start time (row)?

Hope this makes sense

Thanks
Martin
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 05:13:31 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Hi

I have a data table with batch durations along the top from 1 to 36
and start times down the side from 1 to 24. At each intersection of
batch duration (col) and start time (row) there is a value to be
interogated. How do I find the intersection value of a particular
duration (col) and start time (row)?

Hope this makes sense

Thanks
Martin

Assuming that your
- batch durations are in B1:AK1
- start times are in A2:A25
- "intersection values" are in B2:AK25

If your duration is in cell B26 and your duration in cell B27, try the
following formula:

=INDEX(B2:AK25,MATCH(B27,A2:A25,0),MATCH(B26,B1:AK 1,0))

Hope this helps / Lars-Åke
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Based on your assumed setup, you don't need to use MATCH.

B26 = a duration from 1 to 36
B27 = a time from 1 to 24

=INDEX(B2:AK25,B27,B26)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

wrote:

Hi

I have a data table with batch durations along the top from 1 to 36
and start times down the side from 1 to 24. At each intersection of
batch duration (col) and start time (row) there is a value to be
interogated. How do I find the intersection value of a particular
duration (col) and start time (row)?

Hope this makes sense

Thanks
Martin

Assuming that your
- batch durations are in B1:AK1
- start times are in A2:A25
- "intersection values" are in B2:AK25

If your duration is in cell B26 and your duration in cell B27, try the
following formula:

=INDEX(B2:AK25,MATCH(B27,A2:A25,0),MATCH(B26,B1:AK 1,0))

Hope this helps / Lars-Åke

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Assuming the top left corner of your data table is A1 then

=OFFSET(A1,D,T)

Where D is the batch duration and T in the start time. You can use cell
references or just enter the values for D and T.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire