Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Formula help

I am hoping that you can help me with a formula

I want to look up data in one column and search for a specific value and
then return a value from the same row, several columns before.

I want to search for the number 1 in G7:G23
If 1 shows up in G18, I want to have the contents of A18 appear in the new
cell

Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

conniefitzgerald wrote:
I am hoping that you can help me with a formula

I want to look up data in one column and search for a specific value and
then return a value from the same row, several columns before.

I want to search for the number 1 in G7:G23
If 1 shows up in G18, I want to have the contents of A18 appear in the new
cell

Any suggestions?

Take a look he

http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html#Match
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

conniefitzgerald wrote:
I am hoping that you can help me with a formula

I want to look up data in one column and search for a specific value and
then return a value from the same row, several columns before.

I want to search for the number 1 in G7:G23
If 1 shows up in G18, I want to have the contents of A18 appear in the new
cell

Any suggestions?

Actually, look here (just a little farther down the page):

http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctio...tml#IndexMatch
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This should do the trick:

*=INDEX(A7:A23,MATCH(1,G7:G23,0),1)*

--
JBeaucaire
JBeaucaire's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=73

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

*=INDEX(A7:A23,MATCH(1,G7:G23,0),1)*

I would recommend that you not include the * in your replies. Some folks
will think those are part of the formula.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"JBeaucaire" wrote in message

This should do the trick:

*=INDEX(A7:A23,MATCH(1,G7:G23,0),1)*

--
JBeaucaire
JBeaucaire's Profile:
http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=73
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=45494

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I didn't put any asterisks in my reply...and I don't see them either.
Are you guys using some other interface than the web portal that is
changing the content displayed on my posts?

--
JBeaucaire
JBeaucaire's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=73
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=45494

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi JBeaucaire,

You did make the formula you posted bold though.
Many posters are using the newgroups via nntp rather than web portals.

Cheers
Andy

JBeaucaire wrote:
I didn't put any asterisks in my reply...and I don't see them either.
Are you guys using some other interface than the web portal that is
changing the content displayed on my posts?

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm using Outlook Express to access the groups. In OE the formula is
displayed as:

*=INDEX(A7:A23,MATCH(1,G7:G23,0),1)*

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"JBeaucaire" wrote in message

I didn't put any asterisks in my reply...and I don't see them either.
Are you guys using some other interface than the web portal that is
changing the content displayed on my posts?

--
JBeaucaire
JBeaucaire's Profile:
http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=73
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=45494

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

I'm using the Web portal and this shows up with *'s

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"JBeaucaire" wrote:

I didn't put any asterisks in my reply...and I don't see them either.
Are you guys using some other interface than the web portal that is
changing the content displayed on my posts?

--
JBeaucaire
JBeaucaire's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=73
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=45494

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

You can use
=LOOKUP(1,G7:G23,A7:A23)
or
=OFFSET(A6,MATCH(1,G7:G23,0),)
or
=INDEX(A7:A23,MATCH(1,G7:G23,0))

or replace the 1 with a cell reference.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"conniefitzgerald" wrote:

I am hoping that you can help me with a formula

I want to look up data in one column and search for a specific value and
then return a value from the same row, several columns before.

I want to search for the number 1 in G7:G23
If 1 shows up in G18, I want to have the contents of A18 appear in the new
cell

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Well, isn't that cheeky? Using bold to standout the formula in a post
causes additional formatting to be displayed to text view? That's
patently absurd.

OK. Good to know. I'll stop doing that on this web site. (mutter)

--
JBeaucaire
JBeaucaire's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=73
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=45494

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Well, thankfully I knew enough to not use the asterisks. It worked like a
charm. Thank you!

"JBeaucaire" wrote:

This should do the trick:

*=INDEX(A7:A23,MATCH(1,G7:G23,0),1)*

--
JBeaucaire
JBeaucaire's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=73
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=45494

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You need to remember that usenet is a plain text medium, so playing around
with formatting characters is asking for trouble.

Using a web site to access newsgroups might occasionally have some merits,
such as Google's archive search, but in general a web site is not a sensible
way to access a newsgroup.
--
David Biddulph