Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rod Rod is offline

Default What's themost efficient way

I have sales people 1 through 5. If one of them sells something and enters
it I want to be determine which person did the biz; kinda like "if number
under Prod then the person in the left cell did the biz". I'm trying to be
most efficient since I have a table of 7 x 7.
Prod
SPerson1
SPerson2
SPerson3 $100
SPerson4
SPerson5

Once I know who did the biz, say B7 show this to be SPerson3, I can lookup
their compensation based on their commission. I need to be able to
VLookup(B4,"B7"&_Contract,2,false). There is a range named
SPerson3_Contract, as are 1,2,4 & 5.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Dec 30, 3:05*pm, Rod wrote:
I have sales people 1 through 5. *If one of them sells something and enters
it I want to be determine which person did the biz; kinda like "if number
under Prod then the person in the left cell did the biz". *I'm trying to be
most efficient since I have a table of 7 x 7.
* * * * * * * * Prod
SPerson1 * *
SPerson2 * *
SPerson3 * *$100
SPerson4
SPerson5

Once I know who did the biz, say B7 show this to be SPerson3, I can lookup
their compensation based on their commission. *I need to be able to
VLookup(B4,"B7"&_Contract,2,false). *There is a range named
SPerson3_Contract, as are 1,2,4 & 5.

Thanks

Try:
VLookup(B4,INDIRECT(B7&"_Contract"),2,false)