-   -   adding positive and negative numbers (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/214780-adding-positive-negative-numbers.html)

Coach O

adding positive and negative numbers

I am trying to create a formula that will allow me to add both negative and
postive numbers in the same column. It appears that when I use the SUM
function, EXCEL is doing the addition first and then subtracting any negative
from there producing the wrong outcome. Ex: a1 to a10 all have 100 in it.
total would be 1000. When I introduce a -100 anywhere witin a1 to a10, I
recieve 800 instead of 900. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Ashish Mathur[_2_]

adding positive and negative numbers

Hi,

The answer should be 800 itself. 9*100=900. Now 900-100=800

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"Coach O" <Coach wrote in message
I am trying to create a formula that will allow me to add both negative
and
postive numbers in the same column. It appears that when I use the SUM
function, EXCEL is doing the addition first and then subtracting any
negative
from there producing the wrong outcome. Ex: a1 to a10 all have 100 in it.
total would be 1000. When I introduce a -100 anywhere witin a1 to a10, I
recieve 800 instead of 900. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank
you

Bernard Liengme

adding positive and negative numbers

Excel does not 'remember' you once had ten values of 100; all it sees are
nine values or 100 and one of -100 giving 800
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Coach O" <Coach wrote in message
I am trying to create a formula that will allow me to add both negative and
postive numbers in the same column. It appears that when I use the SUM
function, EXCEL is doing the addition first and then subtracting any
negative
from there producing the wrong outcome. Ex: a1 to a10 all have 100 in it.
total would be 1000. When I introduce a -100 anywhere witin a1 to a10, I
recieve 800 instead of 900. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank
you

Coach O[_2_]

adding positive and negative numbers

Thank you for your help