Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default formula for finding out the negative numbers

Hi,

I have amounts in B column nearly 600 lines, the amounts includes negative
amounts and as well as the positive amounts.

amounts like, 100, -55, 253.65, -4954.34

I need a formula to put in C column, so that any negative amount shows as
Credits and positive amounts shows as Debits.

Please help me out.

Regards,
Igneshwara Reddy.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Igneshwara,

You could apply the following custom number formatting on column B
"Debit" #.##0;"Credit" #.##0

HTH

brotha lee

"Igneshwara reddy" wrote:

Hi,

I have amounts in B column nearly 600 lines, the amounts includes negative
amounts and as well as the positive amounts.

amounts like, 100, -55, 253.65, -4954.34

I need a formula to put in C column, so that any negative amount shows as
Credits and positive amounts shows as Debits.

Please help me out.

Regards,
Igneshwara Reddy.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assuming no empty cells or text entries in the range.

Try this:

=IF(B2=0,"Debit","Credit")

Copy down as needed

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Igneshwara reddy" wrote in
message ...
Hi,

I have amounts in B column nearly 600 lines, the amounts includes negative
amounts and as well as the positive amounts.

amounts like, 100, -55, 253.65, -4954.34

I need a formula to put in C column, so that any negative amount shows as
Credits and positive amounts shows as Debits.

Please help me out.

Regards,
Igneshwara Reddy.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

are you saying the accounting value is neg.
in the corrisponding cell you like it post
the word "credit" or the word "debit"
what are you trying to achieve here