Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Sorting by Frequency?

Is there any way to sort a list based on frequency?

I have a large spreadsheet that has a alpha code in one column. I would like
to sort the list so that the most frequent entry is at the top.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish a sort other than alphabetically?

Thanks

Irie
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Irie,

You could use a helper column. Say your alpha code is in column D.
Put this in E1 and drag down as far as is needed,
=COUNTIF(D:D,D1)
Then select all of your data and sort on column E.

HTH
Martin

"Iriemon" wrote in message
Is there any way to sort a list based on frequency?

I have a large spreadsheet that has a alpha code in one column. I would
like
to sort the list so that the most frequent entry is at the top.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish a sort other than alphabetically?

Thanks

Irie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In order for this method to work 100% you should sort on both column E
(in the first hand) and column D (in the second hand).

/ Lars-Åke

"Iriemon" wrote in message
Is there any way to sort a list based on frequency?

I have a large spreadsheet that has a alpha code in one column. I would
like
to sort the list so that the most frequent entry is at the top.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish a sort other than alphabetically?

Thanks

Irie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You're Welcome Irie, also thanks to Lars-Ake for your input,
good catch!!

Cheers
Martin

"Iriemon" wrote in message