Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Count Question - Similar Data

So with this formula and example the answer is 5; however, is there a way to
use a formula to count similiar data. For instance,

Rec 21 will have a count of 2 in the next column because it appears twice.
Rec 24 will have a count of 1 in the next column because it only appears once.

Thanks for your assistance!

Awesome! Thanks

"DaveB" wrote:

The COUNT(...) function only counts numeric values. To count all values use
COUNTA(...), so your formula would be:

=COUNTA(H1:H5)

Dave

"dnm" wrote:

One more question. Every time I try to use the count function it keeps
displaying 0 even though I have values. For example:

1 REC 21
2 REC 24
3 REC 19
4 REC 22
5 REC 21

Which I would then use the formula =COUNT(H1:H5) which should display 5, but
it shows 0.

Does anyone know why this could be happening?