Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Here's one for the techies unless a macro will do it.

I have a workbook on a network drive that more than 1 person uses. If the
workbook is open to more than 1 person at the same time, how can it be
updated in real-time so that each can see what has been input?
Also how can I get round having to save it under a different name? If one
exits excel then the prompt is to save, but when you do, it requests that it
is saved with a different name.
What is worrying is that it is updated, the last person saves, but the other
persons data isn't. One file becomes read only.
Any suggestions please.

Bryan.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Is it a shared workbook? have you set up whose changes get saved?, if
its not a shared workbook then the person who opens the workbook after
it has been opened will get the message "Locked for editing, Open Read
Only?"

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=40148

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Simon,
Thanks Simon,
Everyone who opens it will make changes and it all should be saved. How do I
set it up as a shared workbook?

"Simon Lloyd" wrote in message

Is it a shared workbook? have you set up whose changes get saved?, if
its not a shared workbook then the person who opens the workbook after
it has been opened will get the message "Locked for editing, Open Read
Only?"

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd
Simon Lloyd's Profile:
http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=1
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=40148

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Bryan De-Lara wrote:
Simon,
Thanks Simon,
Everyone who opens it will make changes and it all should be saved. How
do I set it up as a shared workbook?

You could try "About shared workbooks" in the help file.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

When in help "about shared workbooks" also take note of the loss of
functionality in shared workbooks.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Glenn" wrote in message
Bryan De-Lara wrote:
Simon,
Thanks Simon,
Everyone who opens it will make changes and it all should be saved. How
do I set it up as a shared workbook?

You could try "About shared workbooks" in the help file.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In view of your original question about multiple users working on the same
workbook simultaneously, I can see no other option than to share the
workbook.

Gord

wrote:

Thanks Glenn, I did, I need to try it out now.
Bryan.
"Glenn" wrote in message
. ..