Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default ABS/IF formula

Hi,

i have a sheet, this follows the day of the week across the row and a
selection of devices going down the column:

mon tue wed thur
device1 10 11 15 18
device2 20 22 30 32
device3 22 25 26 28

on another sheet i need to work out the difference in time that the device
has been used, so for device1 between monday and tuesday it has been used for
one hour.

for this i have been using the =ABS formula, the problem comes when on some
days the device could be in for repair. if this is the case i would like the
formula to understand the cell content as 0 so as far as the formula is
concerned the cell value is 0 (zero) eventhough its actual value is 'repair'

my problem is, is that i cant sufficiently nest the required logical tests
correctly and it has become very annoying, if anyone could halp it would be
verty much apprieciated.

cheers

The Noob.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Could you post the formula(s) you have tried, so that we can work out
your cell references etc.

Pete

On Dec 8, 1:31*pm, Noob McKnownowt
wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

the best i have done so far is:

=ABS('07.12.08'!B11-'07.12.08'!D11)

but the references arent really that important i can do that, i am just
struggling to understand how to perform the tests correctly.

=ABS(IF(OR('07.12.08'!B11="REPAIR",
'07.12.08'!D11="REPAIR"),0,"")'07.12.08'!B11- '07.12.08'!D11)))

obviously it dosent work :)

cheers

The Noob.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

is this:

=ABS(IF(AND(C7<"repair",B7<"repair"),C7-B7,))

what you need?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

First thing to remember when you are nesting functions is that pairs of
parentheses need to match. You've got 3 opening and 5 closing. Think again
about which parameters you are trying to provide to which function, and
arange your parentheses accordingly.

It isn't entirely clear what you are trying to achive, but perhaps:
--
David Biddulph

"Noob McKnownowt" wrote in
message ...

wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This seems to be spot on pal, thank you very much you're a star.

cheers

The Noob.

"Jarek Kujawa" wrote:

is this:

=ABS(IF(AND(C7<"repair",B7<"repair"),C7-B7,))

what you need?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

welcome, any time
;-)))
could you give some high mark to my post?
;-)))