Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
No Name

Default conditional format/compare

Perplexed-
How do I check a condtion say If(Bw=TRUE),
Then compare cells D2 & D3 for equality)
and repeat for about 1000 rows?
Example:
A B C
D E
1 N TRUE If (B1=True, If(D2=D3), "MATCH") Q
2 N FALSE If (B2=True, If(D2=D3),"") Q
3 Y TRUE If (B3=True, If(D3=D4), "MATCH") Y
4 Y FALSE If (B4=True, If(D4=D5), "") Y

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I think you are looking for this...

=IF(B1,IF(D1=D2,"Match",""),"")

Put it in C1 and copy down.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"< AVG Joe" wrote in message
Perplexed-
How do I check a condtion say If(Bw=TRUE),
Then compare cells D2 & D3 for equality)
and repeat for about 1000 rows?
Example:
A B C
D E
1 N TRUE If (B1=True, If(D2=D3), "MATCH") Q
2 N FALSE If (B2=True, If(D2=D3),"") Q
3 Y TRUE If (B3=True, If(D3=D4), "MATCH") Y
4 Y FALSE If (B4=True, If(D4=D5), "") Y

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assuming you're putting this in conditional format, where you want the effect
applied if TRUE and a match:
=IF(B1=TRUE,IF(D2=D3,TRUE,FALSE),FALSE)

Then copy and paste special the formating.
If your using a cell and literally want the word "match" jsut change to:
=IF(B1=TRUE,IF(D2=D3,"MATCH",""),"")

--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"< AVG Joe" wrote:

Perplexed-
How do I check a condtion say If(Bw=TRUE),
Then compare cells D2 & D3 for equality)
and repeat for about 1000 rows?
Example:
A B C
D E
1 N TRUE If (B1=True, If(D2=D3), "MATCH") Q
2 N FALSE If (B2=True, If(D2=D3),"") Q
3 Y TRUE If (B3=True, If(D3=D4), "MATCH") Y
4 Y FALSE If (B4=True, If(D4=D5), "") Y

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
No Name

Actually, I wasn't sure which way to go with it.
Still not - both work
THanks!

"< AVG Joe" wrote:

Perplexed-
How do I check a condtion say If(Bw=TRUE),
Then compare cells D2 & D3 for equality)
and repeat for about 1000 rows?
Example:
A B C
D E
1 N TRUE If (B1=True, If(D2=D3), "MATCH") Q
2 N FALSE If (B2=True, If(D2=D3),"") Q
3 Y TRUE If (B3=True, If(D3=D4), "MATCH") Y
4 Y FALSE If (B4=True, If(D4=D5), "") Y

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
No Name

Thanks!
Still unable to decide which way to go...

"< AVG Joe" wrote in message
Perplexed-
How do I check a condtion say If(Bw=TRUE),
Then compare cells D2 & D3 for equality)
and repeat for about 1000 rows?
Example:
A B C
D E
1 N TRUE If (B1=True, If(D2=D3), "MATCH") Q
2 N FALSE If (B2=True, If(D2=D3),"") Q
3 Y TRUE If (B3=True, If(D3=D4), "MATCH") Y
4 Y FALSE If (B4=True, If(D4=D5), "") Y

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Good point!

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk wrote in message
... or =IF(AND(B1,D1=D2),"Match","")
--

"< AVG Joe" wrote in message
Perplexed-
How do I check a condtion say If(Bw=TRUE),
Then compare cells D2 & D3 for equality)
and repeat for about 1000 rows?
Example:
A B C
D E
1 N TRUE If (B1=True, If(D2=D3), "MATCH") Q
2 N FALSE If (B2=True, If(D2=D3),"") Q
3 Y TRUE If (B3=True, If(D3=D4), "MATCH") Y
4 Y FALSE If (B4=True, If(D4=D5), "") Y

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

1. Using conditonal formatting means that you can look for visual effects
such as cell color, which are often easier to spot in large data sets than
cell which might say Match or No Match, for example.
2. Using condtional formatting means that you do not have to dedicate a
column of cells to holding a formula. Therefore you are conserving
spreadsheet space and reducing clutter.
3. Using the formula in the cell has the advantage that other cells can use
that result to make additional calculations, whereas formulas can't detect
condtional formatting.

I like the conditional formatting approach, except when you are using 2003
and earlier and want more than 3 conditions, which is not the case here.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire