Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default HLOOKUP Help

Sure this must be quite easy, but I'm trying to sum the number of training
days people have planned, booked or completed. A simplified version of the
sheet looks like this:

DAVE B B P P C C
FRED B C C

DAYS
for 1 2 1 2 3 1.5
course excel word ppoint access etc etc

The values I want are Dave - 3 days Booked, 3 days Planned, 4 days
Completed. Fred 1 day Booked, 3 days Completed.

However, the H lookup only returns a single value (whatever is thie highest
value in the lookup). How can I ensure the days are summed?

Hope this makes sense, as first time on here!

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assuming the data for Dave is on row 1, and the course data is on row
10, you could get the number of days booked by Dave using this
formula:

=SUMIF(B1:G1,"B",B$10:G$10)

Similar formulae, with "B" replaced by "P" and "C" can get you the
Planned and Completed values. You could combine them in one formula
like this (eg in A13):

=A1&": Booked "&SUMIF(B1:G1,"B",B$10:G$10)&", Planned "&SUMIF
(B1:G1,"P",B$10:G$10)&", Completed "&SUMIF(B1:G1,"C",B$10:G$10)

Then you could copy this down to produce the summary for Fred (and any
others).

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Dec 4, 9:28*am, GRynners
wrote:
Sure this must be quite easy, but I'm trying to sum the number of training
days people have planned, booked or completed. A simplified version of the
sheet looks like this:

DAVE * * B * * * *B * * * *P * * * *P * * * * *C * * *C *
FRED * * B * * * *C * * * *C

DAYS * *
for * * * * 1 * * * *2 * * * 1 * * * * 2 * * * * *3 * * 1.5
course * *excel *word *ppoint *access *etc * etc

The values I want are Dave - 3 days Booked, 3 days Planned, 4 days
Completed. Fred 1 day Booked, 3 days Completed.

However, the H lookup only returns a single value (whatever is thie highest
value in the lookup). How can I ensure the days are summed?

Hope this makes sense, as first time on here!

Thanks.

help with hlookup Cam1234 Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 November 27th 07 12:31 AM
Hlookup Duplatt New Users to Excel 11 November 9th 07 03:05 PM
HLookUp David Mok Excel Worksheet Functions 1 August 24th 07 08:50 PM
V+HLookup? Susan Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 June 22nd 07 06:20 PM
Hlookup? coa01gsb Excel Worksheet Functions 5 March 9th 06 02:03 PM