Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Preventing row numbers from sorting

I have a list of names and have column a set up as a number series 1 ....
designating their number in the list. When i enter a new name I would like
to sort the list but not sort the 1 .... numbers so the new list will show
each person's correct place in the list.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

assumed u have Col A & Col B

serial number are in Col A then select the col B | go to data | sort |
select the continue with current selection | sort | ok |

On Dec 4, 12:46*am, Gary wrote:
I have a list of names and have column a set up as a number series 1 ....
designating their number in the list. *When i enter a new name I would like
to sort the list but not sort the 1 .... numbers so the new list will show
each person's correct place in the list.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Drag over the full column with the names,

select Data
Select Sort

A sort order warning will pop up and state that adjacent data is present, do
you want to expand the sort. (Or something like that) Press continue with
current selection.

Select ascending or descending from the sort menu and press enter.

The single column should now be sorted in name order but the serial number
column should remain in the order you set it to.

Does this answer your question????

Kindest regards

Mike B

--
Advice to Posters.
Check your post for replies or request for more information.

"Gary" wrote:

I have a list of names and have column a set up as a number series 1 ....
designating their number in the list. When i enter a new name I would like
to sort the list but not sort the 1 .... numbers so the new list will show
each person's correct place in the list.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In A1 enter =ROW()

Copy down a bunch of rows.

When you sort on the name column, the 1, 2, 3 in Column A will remain the
same.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP