Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default IF cell A1 contains "X", enter "X" in cell B1, if not enter "Y" HE

The operation I am trying to do is:
If cell A1 contains the word "AMR", I need Excel to show in cell B1 the word
"AMR", if it does not find it, enter the word "Other". The word €˜AMR will
not be always in the same position in other cells, it can be located anywhere
(at the beginning, somewhere in the middle or at the end) on the cell.

I tried doing it this way: =IF(A1=*"AMR"*,"AMR","Other")
but I got an error message.

Does anyone know a formula or another way Excel can do this operation?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 13:14:12 -0800, adre77
wrote:

The operation I am trying to do is:
If cell A1 contains the word "AMR", I need Excel to show in cell B1 the word
"AMR", if it does not find it, enter the word "Other". The word ‘AMR’ will
not be always in the same position in other cells, it can be located anywhere
(at the beginning, somewhere in the middle or at the end) on the cell.

I tried doing it this way: =IF(A1=*"AMR"*,"AMR","Other")
but I got an error message.

Does anyone know a formula or another way Excel can do this operation?

Try this formula:

=IF(ISERROR(FIND("AMR",A1)),"Other","AMR")

Hope this helps / Lars-Åke

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,
perhaps something like:
=IF(FIND("AMR",A1,0)0,"AMR","Other")
Regards - Dave

"adre77" wrote:

The operation I am trying to do is:
If cell A1 contains the word "AMR", I need Excel to show in cell B1 the word
"AMR", if it does not find it, enter the word "Other". The word €˜AMR will
not be always in the same position in other cells, it can be located anywhere
(at the beginning, somewhere in the middle or at the end) on the cell.

I tried doing it this way: =IF(A1=*"AMR"*,"AMR","Other")
but I got an error message.

Does anyone know a formula or another way Excel can do this operation?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default IF cell A1 contains "X", enter "X" in cell B1, if not enter "Y

Thanks Dave, I modified a bit your formula =IF(FIND("AMR",B2),"AMR","Other")
and it worked, but only for cells that contain the word "AMR", for the ones
that dont have it, it shows an error value.

The next reply to my question suggested a different formula
=IF(ISERROR(FIND("AMR",B2)),"Other","AMR") that worked ok on every cell.

Thanks again!

"Dave" wrote:

Hi,
perhaps something like:
=IF(FIND("AMR",A1,0)0,"AMR","Other")
Regards - Dave

"adre77" wrote:

The operation I am trying to do is:
If cell A1 contains the word "AMR", I need Excel to show in cell B1 the word
"AMR", if it does not find it, enter the word "Other". The word €˜AMR will
not be always in the same position in other cells, it can be located anywhere
(at the beginning, somewhere in the middle or at the end) on the cell.

I tried doing it this way: =IF(A1=*"AMR"*,"AMR","Other")
but I got an error message.

Does anyone know a formula or another way Excel can do this operation?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for the formula Lars-Ã…ke. I have another question:
what if instead of showing the word "other" I need Excel to do another if
statement...Let me explain:
in Column A i have the following:
Reject-AMR & Billing
Check-AMR & Billing-
Billing-Meter Read
Billing-AMR & Check-AMR
Check-Download & Billing- Gas
what i need now is: if it says AMR, show AMR, if it says Meter Read, show
Meter Read, if it says Download, show Download... how can i do this? I am
trying to do several if statements with the formula you sent me, but I can't
seem to find the right formula

-thanks in advance!

wrote:

The operation I am trying to do is:
If cell A1 contains the word "AMR", I need Excel to show in cell B1 the word
"AMR", if it does not find it, enter the word "Other". The word €˜AMR will
not be always in the same position in other cells, it can be located anywhere
(at the beginning, somewhere in the middle or at the end) on the cell.

I tried doing it this way: =IF(A1=*"AMR"*,"AMR","Other")
but I got an error message.

Does anyone know a formula or another way Excel can do this operation?

Try this formula:

=IF(ISERROR(FIND("AMR",A1)),"Other","AMR")

Hope this helps / Lars-Ã…ke