Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default sum column 3 if columns 1 and 2 meet criteria

Hi,
I have two worksheets and need to show the totals on worksheet 1 when the
criteria from worksheet 2 are met. For instance, on worksheet 2, when column
A = 1 and column B = Y, then sum C. In this example, the amount I expect on
worksheet 1 is 20.00

Worksheet 1
A B
1Y $20.00
1N $10.00
2Y $10.00
2N $0

Worksheet 2
A B C
1 Y 10.00
1 N 10.00
2 Y 10.00
1 Y 10.00
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On sheet1 you should use separate cells for the number and letter:

......A.....B.....C
1...1.....Y.....20

Enter this formula in C1:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(Sheet2!A$1:A$4=A1),--(Sheet2!B$1:B$4=B1),Sheet2!C$1:C$4)

Copy down as needed.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"bokey" wrote in message
I have two worksheets and need to show the totals on worksheet 1 when the
criteria from worksheet 2 are met. For instance, on worksheet 2, when
column
A = 1 and column B = Y, then sum C. In this example, the amount I expect
on
worksheet 1 is 20.00

Worksheet 1
A B
1Y $20.00
1N $10.00
2Y $10.00
2N $0

Worksheet 2
A B C
1 Y 10.00
1 N 10.00
2 Y 10.00
1 Y 10.00

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It's a bit more complicated than I illustrated. On worksheet 2, cloumn 1
represents different phases and column 2 represents different catagories with
column 3 being the a sum of the total amount paid to date.

Worksheet 1 looks like this:

A B C
Design Phase
Development
Conversion
Expense
Implementation Phase
Development
Inteface
Fees

"bokey" wrote in message
I have two worksheets and need to show the totals on worksheet 1 when the
criteria from worksheet 2 are met. For instance, on worksheet 2, when
column
A = 1 and column B = Y, then sum C. In this example, the amount I expect
on
worksheet 1 is 20.00

Worksheet 1
A B
1Y $20.00
1N $10.00
2Y $10.00
2N $0

Worksheet 2
A B C
1 Y 10.00
1 N 10.00
2 Y 10.00
1 Y 10.00

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ok, now I'm lost!

I don't see how the first example relates to the second example at all.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP