-   -   Need help in VLOOKUP function (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/211361-need-help-vlookup-function.html)

Leow

Need help in VLOOKUP function

Good day,
I hope the experts and guru can help me on this problem.
Here is what I have:-
Table 1, name "SHS" defined as H2:K10
Table 2, name "FB" defined as M2:P5
Column A will be input either SHS or FB, eg A1 -- SHS
in Cell B1, I want it to lookup a data from table SHS,
so, I input a formula like =vlookup(3;A1;2) which I wanted it to return a
value from table SHS 2nd column from row containing 3 at 1st column.
Obviously, it didn't work since it looked in CELL A1 instead of table SHS.
How should I edit the formula to get what I want? I tried to use IF
function but I will be too long since I actually have about 10 tables. Your
help is very appreciated.
thanks in advance.

T. Valko

Need help in VLOOKUP function

Try it like this:

=VLOOKUP(3;INDIRECT(A1);2)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Leow" wrote in message
Good day,
I hope the experts and guru can help me on this problem.
Here is what I have:-
Table 1, name "SHS" defined as H2:K10
Table 2, name "FB" defined as M2:P5
Column A will be input either SHS or FB, eg A1 -- SHS
in Cell B1, I want it to lookup a data from table SHS,
so, I input a formula like =vlookup(3;A1;2) which I wanted it to return a
value from table SHS 2nd column from row containing 3 at 1st column.
Obviously, it didn't work since it looked in CELL A1 instead of table SHS.
How should I edit the formula to get what I want? I tried to use IF
function but I will be too long since I actually have about 10 tables.
Your
help is very appreciated.
thanks in advance.

muddan madhu