Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Summing data on duplicate records?

I have a worksheet that has the following column headers:
Organization
Project#
Cost
Cost Center
Month Posted

where each row lists the cost a project from a specific organization has
charged to a particular cost center (a chargeback data set if you will).

I would like the cost centers listed on the lefthand side and then, based on
a drop down selection of organization, summarize by month (listed across the
top) the charges made to each cost center.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

A pivot table would be a good solution but if you want a formula approach
assume that the months start in cell C1 and go to the right. Also suppose
you have a drop down in A1 from which to pick the Orgainization. In Column B
there would be a list of cost centers starting in cell B2.

The formula to enter in cell C2 and copy down and over for all the months
and cost centers would be

=SUMPRODUCT(--($A$8:$A$19=$A$1),--($B$8:$B$19=$B2),--($C$8:$C$19=C$1),$D$8:$D$19)

Where A8:A19 conatins the Organizatin, B8:B19 contains the Cost Center,
C1:C10 contains the Month, and D8:D19 contains the the cost.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire