Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
DMB DMB is offline

Default If a cell contains a value then sum another cell.

I am trying to find a formula that can sum the value of a cell if it contains
a certain value.

For example:

I have 100 sales that were made and 10 sales people. Each sales person has
different sales $$ volume that they done. So I want to find the TOTAL sales
volume for each sales person.

Their sales volume is in one column and their name is in another. I need a
formula that will give me the toal volume for example sum C2 if B2 = Bob.

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Use
=SUMPRODUCT(--(B1:B100="Bob"),(C1:C100))

This will sum up Col C values where corresponding cell in Col B is Bob.
Adjust 100 to the last row with your data...

Put you saelpeople in, say, Col D and enter this in E1
=SUMPRODUCT(--($B$1:$B$100=E1),($C$1:$C$100)) and copy down

"DMB" wrote:

I am trying to find a formula that can sum the value of a cell if it contains
a certain value.

For example:

I have 100 sales that were made and 10 sales people. Each sales person has
different sales $$ volume that they done. So I want to find the TOTAL sales
volume for each sales person.

Their sales volume is in one column and their name is in another. I need a
formula that will give me the toal volume for example sum C2 if B2 = Bob.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this...

A1:A100 = names
B1:B100 = sales (numeric values)

List the unique names in a range of cells, say, D1:D10

Enter this formula E1 and copy down to E10:

=SUMIF(A$1:A$100,E1,B$1:B$100)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"DMB" wrote in message
I am trying to find a formula that can sum the value of a cell if it
contains
a certain value.

For example:

I have 100 sales that were made and 10 sales people. Each sales person
has
different sales $$ volume that they done. So I want to find the TOTAL
sales
volume for each sales person.

Their sales volume is in one column and their name is in another. I need
formula that will give me the toal volume for example sum C2 if B2 = Bob.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ooops! typo:

Enter this formula E1 and copy down to E10:
=SUMIF(A$1:A$100,E1,B$1:B$100)

The correct formula should be:

=SUMIF(A$1:A$100,D1,B$1:B$100)

--