Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Formula in Excel

I have a formula that figures out the hundred weight of a warehosue.

Throughput / Hours / 100 = CWT

When I use the numbers it comes out to this:
5544654 / 1810 / 100 = 30.64 CWT

Now my problem is that I am trying to figure out a formula that will take a
goal CWT and figure out teh hours needed to hit it, whether we need to cut
labor. So this is what i put in the cell:
Throughput * 100 * CWT = hours
When i do this I get a weird number, lets use a goal of 34.2CWT.
5544654 * 34.2 * 100 = 18962714970

Obvious this is incorrect, as 1810 hours results in a CWT of 30.64. Can
anyone think of a correct formula to figure out my dilemma?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

This is exactly what the Tools Goal Seek function does. Please read up on
it in Excel's Help menu

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"kejak28" wrote in message
I have a formula that figures out the hundred weight of a warehosue.

Throughput / Hours / 100 = CWT

When I use the numbers it comes out to this:
5544654 / 1810 / 100 = 30.64 CWT

Now my problem is that I am trying to figure out a formula that will take
goal CWT and figure out teh hours needed to hit it, whether we need to cut
labor. So this is what i put in the cell:
Throughput * 100 * CWT = hours
When i do this I get a weird number, lets use a goal of 34.2CWT.
5544654 * 34.2 * 100 = 18962714970

Obvious this is incorrect, as 1810 hours results in a CWT of 30.64. Can
anyone think of a correct formula to figure out my dilemma?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Simple algebra. If:

CWT = Throughput / Hours / 100

then

Hours = Throughput / CWT / 100

So:

Hours = 5544654 / 34.2 / 100
= 1621.24

You have used * instead of /.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Nov 13, 12:26*pm, kejak28
wrote:
I have a formula that figures out the hundred weight of a warehosue.

Throughput / Hours / 100 = CWT

When I use the numbers it comes out to this:
5544654 / 1810 / 100 = 30.64 CWT

Now my problem is that I am trying to figure out a formula that will take a
goal CWT and figure out teh hours needed to hit it, whether we need to cut
labor. So this is what i put in the cell:
Throughput * 100 * CWT = hours
When i do this I get a weird number, lets use a goal of 34.2CWT.
5544654 * 34.2 * 100 = 18962714970

Obvious this is incorrect, as 1810 hours results in a CWT of 30.64. Can
anyone think of a correct formula to figure out my dilemma?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

To solve you equasion for hours it becomes

throughput/cwt/100

=5544657/30.64/100 = 1809.613

Mike