Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Autofill summary worksheet

Hi,

I have a workbook that has a worksheet for each month of the year. Each
month has over a dozen columns with figures that are totalled. Then I have a
summary worksheet in the same workbook that has a column for each month of
the year and all of the individual columns on the month sheets. I need to
figure out how to put a formula in the summary worksheet that comes from each
of the column totals on each of the monthly sheets without entering each
manually.

On the summary sheet I manually entered just the column total formula for
the month of January. Now I'm assuming that there is some way to drag those
cells across the rest of the year and get it to copy and adjust the forumula
respectively. But I can't find what the keystrokes or process is to get it
to work...

Here's what the forumulas look like in the january columns:

=sum(Jan!Y40)
=sum(Jan!A40)
=sum(Jan!B40)
=sum(Jan!C40) etc....

Here's what I want this sheet to look like by columns:

=sum(Jan!Y40) =sum(Feb!Y40) =sum(Mar!Y40)
=sum(Jan!A40) =sum(Feb!A40) =sum(Mar!A40)
=sum(Jan!B40) =sum(Feb!B40) =sum(Mar!B40)
=sum(Jan!C40) =sum(Feb!C40) =sum(Mar!C40)

When I drag the cells this is what I get:

=sum(Jan!Y40) =sum(Jan!Z40) =sum(Jan!AA40)
=sum(Jan!A40) =sum(Jan!B40) =sum(Jan!C40)
=sum(Jan!B40) =sum(Jan!C40) =sum(Jan!D40)
=sum(Jan!C40) =sum(Jan!D40) =sum(Jan!E40)

So it's changing the column ID instead of the sheet ID. Any ideas on how to
make this work?

Thanks!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

This all depends on whether the rows correspond on all the sheets. If so,
suppose the Totals are in column P on each sheet, on your summary sheet enter
a formula like

=SUM(Jan:Dec!P2)
copy this formula down and you will be getting the totals for each line for
each sheet.
With this kind of formula sheet position is important - the first sheet
should be Jan the last Dec and no other sheets should be between them.

If this helps, please click Yes.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Cheryl" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Set up a vlookup table
c d
1 jan
2 Feb
etc
=INDIRECT(VLOOKUP(COLUMN(B1),$C:$D,2)&"!y40")
drag across

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Do NOT use the sum part of your formula UNLESS you do want to SUM a range of
cells. Use as shown

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

You may also look up question 30 on my site -
http://ashishmathur.com/replies.aspx

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Help menu

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

As Ashish said, look in the help index for VLOOKUP

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel