Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
N N is offline

Default Calculate Amount Based on Year

I'm trying to calculate the totals based on years and don't want to do a
basic sum in case I move things around, I want the totals to be specifically
based on the year.

I have appx 50 rows of data and need the formula to find all dates for the
specific year and then sum those corresponding totals.

Both columns are named as Amount and Finish_Date and E is formatted as a
date, not text. I've tried several formulas and just can't get it to give me
a total or the correct one. What am I missing?

Thank you!

Column D Column E
Amount Finish Date
$45,000,000 Mar-02
$50,000,000 May-05

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try SUMPRODUCT

=SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR(MyDateRange)=2008), MyAmountRange)

Substitute in your ranges as appropriate.

Mike

"N" wrote:

I'm trying to calculate the totals based on years and don't want to do a
basic sum in case I move things around, I want the totals to be specifically
based on the year.

I have appx 50 rows of data and need the formula to find all dates for the
specific year and then sum those corresponding totals.

Both columns are named as Amount and Finish_Date and E is formatted as a
date, not text. I've tried several formulas and just can't get it to give me
a total or the correct one. What am I missing?

Thank you!

Column D Column E
Amount Finish Date
$45,000,000 Mar-02
$50,000,000 May-05

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

You could add another column
=YEAR(B1) in cell C1 and copy it down, and then use the very simple function
=SUMIF(C1:C1000,D1,A1:A1000)
Where D1 contains the year, say 2008.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"N" wrote:

I'm trying to calculate the totals based on years and don't want to do a
basic sum in case I move things around, I want the totals to be specifically
based on the year.

I have appx 50 rows of data and need the formula to find all dates for the
specific year and then sum those corresponding totals.

Both columns are named as Amount and Finish_Date and E is formatted as a
date, not text. I've tried several formulas and just can't get it to give me
a total or the correct one. What am I missing?

Thank you!

Column D Column E
Amount Finish Date
$45,000,000 Mar-02
$50,000,000 May-05

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
N N is offline

I must have something formatted wrong. I get the #Value when I try Mike's
and something totally different when I try Shane's (which I tried before
posting). I don't have time to look into it at this moment but will check
alll my cells (info came from someone else) and get back to you to let you
know if I got it to work. Thanks for the help guys, I know it's just a
matter of operator error at this point.