Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default I found Row 14 in wksh 2, can I get the value of J14 into wksh 1?

Hello.

I feel like I've gotten far, but not far enough...If you can help, I would
be greatful. Thank you.

I used this formula to identify the row I was looking for in my worksheet
titled, August 31, 2008:
=MATCH(C4,'August 31, 2008 (2)'!C:C,FALSE)

The answer is 14

Now I need to bring the value of cell J14 in august 31, 2008 over to
worksheet Nov 6, 2008 and place it in cell S4.

Can you help me with a formula to do that? It seems like it should be easy,
but my mind keeps going in circles...

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try
=INDIRECT("'August 31, 2008 (2)'!J"&MATCH(C4,'August 31, 2008 (2)'!C:C,FALSE))

It has three parts
First a string 'August 31, 2008 (2)'!J with quotes around it,
second a & to join the first part with the third part, which is your
formula returning 14.
The string within INDIRECT evaluates to 'August 31, 2008 (2)'!J14
and Indirect goes to that address and fetches the result.

"grateful" wrote:

Hello.

I feel like I've gotten far, but not far enough...If you can help, I would
be greatful. Thank you.

I used this formula to identify the row I was looking for in my worksheet
titled, August 31, 2008:
=MATCH(C4,'August 31, 2008 (2)'!C:C,FALSE)

The answer is 14

Now I need to bring the value of cell J14 in august 31, 2008 over to
worksheet Nov 6, 2008 and place it in cell S4.

Can you help me with a formula to do that? It seems like it should be easy,
but my mind keeps going in circles...

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Enter this formula in cell S4:

=INDEX('August 31, 2008 (2)'!J:J,MATCH(C4,'August 31, 2008 (2)'!C:C,0))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"grateful" wrote in message
Hello.

I feel like I've gotten far, but not far enough...If you can help, I would
be greatful. Thank you.

I used this formula to identify the row I was looking for in my worksheet
titled, August 31, 2008:
=MATCH(C4,'August 31, 2008 (2)'!C:C,FALSE)

The answer is 14

Now I need to bring the value of cell J14 in august 31, 2008 over to
worksheet Nov 6, 2008 and place it in cell S4.

Can you help me with a formula to do that? It seems like it should be
easy,
but my mind keeps going in circles...

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default I found Row 14 in wksh 2, can I get the value of J14 into wksh

Wow! Thank you so much! It works perfectly, and I am able to continue
working.

I think I understand most of the formula. I am not sure what "Indirect"
means, or when to use it.

But this works and I am so happy! Thank you very much!

"grateful" wrote:

Hello.

I feel like I've gotten far, but not far enough...If you can help, I would
be greatful. Thank you.

I used this formula to identify the row I was looking for in my worksheet
titled, August 31, 2008:
=MATCH(C4,'August 31, 2008 (2)'!C:C,FALSE)

The answer is 14

Now I need to bring the value of cell J14 in august 31, 2008 over to
worksheet Nov 6, 2008 and place it in cell S4.

Can you help me with a formula to do that? It seems like it should be easy,
but my mind keeps going in circles...

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Think of INDEX as a storage "container" used in a formula.

=INDEX(A1:A10

We have the values in the range A1:A10 "stored in the container". Now, we
use the other arguments of the INDEX function to tell it which one of those
stored values we want as the result of the formula.

Consider this simple example:

...........A
1.....Tom
2.....Sue
3.....Joe
4.....Lisa
5.....Karen

=INDEX(A1:A5,4)

In it's simplest form, that formula means return the 4th item from the
indexed ("stored") values.

The 4th value = Lisa

The arguments used to get the result you want can be very simple like above
or they can be very complex depending on the application.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"grateful" wrote in message
Hello.

I feel like I've gotten far, but not far enough...If you can help, I
would
be greatful. Thank you.

I used this formula to identify the row I was looking for in my
worksheet
titled, August 31, 2008:
=MATCH(C4,'August 31, 2008 (2)'!C:C,FALSE)

The answer is 14

Now I need to bring the value of cell J14 in august 31, 2008 over to
worksheet Nov 6, 2008 and place it in cell S4.

Can you help me with a formula to do that? It seems like it should be
easy,
but my mind keeps going in circles...

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Wow. Thank you so much. I understand it now, when you think of it as a
container. I had seen it in Excel help as I was originally trying to find a
formula for my dilemna, and I kept coming across INDEX, but I have to say I
didn't undersatnd how it worked.

Thank you very much!

"grateful" wrote in message
Hello.

I feel like I've gotten far, but not far enough...If you can help, I
would
be greatful. Thank you.

I used this formula to identify the row I was looking for in my
worksheet
titled, August 31, 2008:
=MATCH(C4,'August 31, 2008 (2)'!C:C,FALSE)

The answer is 14

Now I need to bring the value of cell J14 in august 31, 2008 over to
worksheet Nov 6, 2008 and place it in cell S4.

Can you help me with a formula to do that? It seems like it should be
easy,
but my mind keeps going in circles...

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

HI there,

I don't know if you are still around or still able to help me. It's a year
later, and I find myslef needing to add on to this formula....and as much as
I try to fool with it...to no avail.

I have this formula (It works perfectly): =IF(ISERROR((INDIRECT("'August 31,
2008'!H"&MATCH(C7,'August 31, 2008'!C:C,FALSE)) + H7)/(INDIRECT("'August 31,
2008'!J"&MATCH(C7,'August 31,
2008'!C:C,FALSE))+J7)),IF(L70.01,L7,""),((INDIREC T("'August 31,
2008'!H"&MATCH(C7,'August 31, 2008'!C:C,FALSE)) + H7)/(INDIRECT("'August 31,
2008'!J"&MATCH(C7,'August 31, 2008'!C:C,FALSE))+J7)))

What I need to do is now incorporate information from another worksheet:
August 28, 2009

In the N column is where I incorporated the formula above in my current
sheet. It compared info from Sheet August 31, 2008 and added any relevant
info into my current sheet. Now I need it to analyze August 31, 2008 and
August 27, 2009 and work out the same rate. If the C cell match, to add the
sums of cells H in all three sheets, and the sums of cells J in all three
cells, and divide the sums H/J in Cell 3.

Does that make any sense?

Thank you for all the help.