Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Nesting the ROW() command into a Conditional Format Formula

Hi,
I have a table with the months (January - December) on the right (Column A)
and the numerical days of the month (1-31) across the top (Row 9). Cell A9
contains the year (2009)

I want to condition the format of each cell that represents a weekend day to
be yellow fill.

I have the conditional formula(s) that performs this on cell B10 as:

=WEEKDAY((DATEVALUE(CONCATENATE(A10,"/",B9,"/",A9))),1)=1
=WEEKDAY((DATEVALUE(CONCATENATE(A10,"/",B9,"/",A9))),1)=7
=WEEKDAY((DATEVALUE(CONCATENATE(A10,"/",B9,"/",A9))),1)<71

I am trying to replace the A in cell reference A10 with a reference of
"ROW()" to give me the month of same row as the reference cell, and then also
replace the B in cell reference B9 with a reference of "COLUMN()" to bring in
the correct data.

can anybody help, or recommend another way to arrive at the solution?

Thanks in advance
Andy Halford
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Replace A10 with
INDIRECT("A"&Row())
thiis will refer to A9 if row() is 9, and so on
Similarly for Column reference you will have to use INDIRECT with LOOKUP to
translate the Column() to a letter
INDIRECT(LOOKUP(COLUMN(),{1,2,3},{"A","B","C"})&"1 ")
to get A1 for Col A, B1 for Col B and so on... add more to the array if you
want to go beyond Col C
you can also use VLOOKUP instead of LOOKUP if columns to lookup are too many
to list...

"ahalford" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This works for me with the regional date setting as U.S. English.

=WEEKDAY(--($A$9&"/"&MONTH($A10&1)&"/"&B$9),2)5

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"ahalford" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

OK, here is an update: it appears that the formula works as it is when
applied to the entire range, however: the month column must be formated as a
number from 1 thru 12 and not the months themselves. January worked on my
testing but the others did not hence my confusion.

My issue now is how to have the value of 1 thru 12 assigned to teh cell but
to display the month name January thru December.
Andy Halford