Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Which function/s should I use?

a1:a27 = name
b1:b27 = value

How can i find the highest value in column b and place it's corresponding
name into cell c1?

I realize this is likely a basic question, but I'm somewhat new to excel and
appreciate any help. Thanks in advance, Emil.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this:

=INDEX(A1:A27,MATCH(MAX(B1:B27),B1:B27,0))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Emil" wrote in message
a1:a27 = name
b1:b27 = value

How can i find the highest value in column b and place it's corresponding
name into cell c1?

I realize this is likely a basic question, but I'm somewhat new to excel
and
appreciate any help. Thanks in advance, Emil.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Very nice - that did the trick!

First time ever using the index function. Thank you.

A follow up though ~~ what if I wanted to show the top 3? Instead of just
the top one.

I know, you just answered my conundrum flawlessly :) Now though I'm
thinking I may be able to step this up a notch.

"Emil" wrote in message
a1:a27 = name
b1:b27 = value

How can i find the highest value in column b and place it's corresponding
name into cell c1?

I realize this is likely a basic question, but I'm somewhat new to excel
and
appreciate any help. Thanks in advance, Emil.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If there might be duplicate number values then it can get really complicated
in a hurry!

For the top 3.

Entered in C1 and copied down to C3:

=INDEX(A$1:A2$7,MATCH(LARGE(B$1:B$27,ROWS(C$1:C1)) ,B$1:B$27,0))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Emil" wrote in message
a1:a27 = name
b1:b27 = value

How can i find the highest value in column b and place it's
corresponding
name into cell c1?

I realize this is likely a basic question, but I'm somewhat new to
excel
and
appreciate any help. Thanks in advance, Emil.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I think I'll stop while I'm ahead (There is a likelihood some of the values
will be ties).

You answered what I needed the most. Cant learn all of excel in one day.
Thanks again!