Amy

Default IF Function - If the reference cell data is presently unknown

I calculate upcoming deadlines that are triggered by other events. If the
trigger date is presently unknown, I want the cell to be blank.
Example: Answer to complaint is due 30 days after the Summons is issued.
=IF(E5<1,1,E5+30) with conditional formatting for white ink if the cell
value is between 0-1 makes the deadline cell at least look blank.
I can't translate this to a more complicated deadline, though.
Example: Disclosures must be filed by the earlier of 1) commencement of the
case +60 days, or 2) the date the answer was filed + 30 days.
=IF(E7+60<E8+30,E7+60,E8+30) gives the right answer, but if one of the
trigger cells is blank, I get 01/00/00, and I dont know how to fix it. I
would really appreciate it if someone could help me. Thanks.

Otto Moehrbach

In your first formula:
=IF(E5<1,1,E5+30)
I take it from what you say that you want the cell to be (appear) blank if
E5<1. Use this:
=IF(E5<1,"",E5+30)
and forget about conditional formatting to white font.

For the more complicated deadline, I take it that you want a blank (appears
blank) if either E7 OR E8 is blank. Use this:
=IF(OR((E7=""),(E8="")),"",IF((E7+60)<(E8+30),E7+6 0,E8+30))

HTH Otto