Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default using vlookup with combo box

I have a spread sheet were I was using a drop down list and was using data
validation and vlookup to populate data in other cells.
=IF(D6="","",VLOOKUP(D6,tablet!A:C,3,FALSE)). I wanted to use a combo box so
the user to add data to the table. When I made the combo box and used the
drop list I was unable to populate the other cell using the formula I had.
Can this be done
Thanks for your help.
Larry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you mean you wanted the user to be able to modify the Table range by
adding items to the data validation dropdown (combo box) the answer is well,
maybe, depending on what you really want. The Contexture website shows many
modifications of this topic area.

If you are trying to use the value returned by the combo box to feed a
VLOOKUP formula, that can be done. It depends on what you mean by combo box,
if you are using the Data Validation command you can refernce the cell where
it is from the VLOOKUP formula. For example if VLOOKUP(A1,Table,3,False) A1
could display the data validation list. If you are using a Form control or
Control Toolbox combo box then you will can capture the number of the item it
returns and then look up that. To do this you can link the combo box to any
cell and then have VLOOKUP use that cell to do the lookup. You link by
right-clicking the combo box and choosing Format Control, Control tab, Cell
Link for a Form control. For a Control Toolbox you can select it on the
toolbar click Properties, and set the Linked Cell property.
--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire