Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default IF Statement for Dates

Hello,

I have four dates that can out of order. For example, 04/10/08 then
03/10/08, then 05/10/08, then 06/10/08. I need an if statement to look at
these four dates and determine if any of them are out of order and that tells
me which date or dates are out of order.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This is at least the 4th time you have asked this same question. If you keep
asking the same question, you are going to keep getting the same responses.
You have not responded with any of the 'troubleshooting' techniques that were
asked of you from the 10/240/08 post of Formula for Dates. Until you
troubleshoot your data, because there is something obviously wrong with it,
you are going to continue to get the same answers that do not work for you.
--
** John C **

"Daren" wrote:

Hello,

I have four dates that can out of order. For example, 04/10/08 then
03/10/08, then 05/10/08, then 06/10/08. I need an if statement to look at
these four dates and determine if any of them are out of order and that tells
me which date or dates are out of order.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Put the four dates in A1 thru D1
In B2 enter:
=IF(B1<A1,"value above is out of order","")
then copy B2 to C2 thru D2
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200810

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 06:12:01 -0700, Daren
wrote:

Pardon me, but this one is a little different. I need to highlight the
specific dates that are out of order, not just determine if they are out of
order.

That is not what you asked.

You wrote:

I need an if statement to look at
these four dates and determine if any of them are out of order and that tells
me which date or dates are out of order.

There can be a difference between "highlight" and "tell me".

You can highlight the appropriate cell by using conditional formatting.

If your data is in A1:D1, select A1:D1 and use this formula in the Conditional
Formatting wizard:

=A1<SMALL($A$1:$D$1,COLUMN())
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assuming the dates are in adjacent cells in a column, say from A1 to A4, use
this formula in B1 and copy it down

=A1=SMALL($A$1:$A$4,COUNT(A$1:A1))

"Daren" wrote:

Hello,

I have four dates that can out of order. For example, 04/10/08 then
03/10/08, then 05/10/08, then 06/10/08. I need an if statement to look at
these four dates and determine if any of them are out of order and that tells
me which date or dates are out of order.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You're correct. I went back to that date and found
=and(a1<"",b1a1,c1b1,d1b1). That formula works, at least on one file.
What does this formula do: =and(--d2--c2,--c2--b2,--b2--a2)?

"Daren" wrote:

Hello,

I have four dates that can out of order. For example, 04/10/08 then
03/10/08, then 05/10/08, then 06/10/08. I need an if statement to look at
these four dates and determine if any of them are out of order and that tells
me which date or dates are out of order.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ron,

Selected the appropriate cells and tried your formula. The dates are in
columns S thru V, with the date in T being out of order. The dates in S, T,
U, and V respectively are
10/1/2007 8/11/2008 10/1/2007 4/1/2009. T is out of order. When I used
=S11<SMALL($S$11:$V$11,COLUMN()) in the Formula Is of Conditional
Formatting (not the wizard), and did conditional format as yellow, the
highlight was not returned. The dates are formatted as 3/14/2001. Do you
know what might be the problem? Thanks.

You wrote:

I need an if statement to look at
these four dates and determine if any of them are out of order and that tells
me which date or dates are out of order.

There can be a difference between "highlight" and "tell me".

You can highlight the appropriate cell by using conditional formatting.

If your data is in A1:D1, select A1:D1 and use this formula in the Conditional
Formatting wizard:

=A1<SMALL($A$1:$D$1,COLUMN())
--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 09:41:02 -0700, Daren
wrote:

Ron,

Selected the appropriate cells and tried your formula. The dates are in
columns S thru V, with the date in T being out of order. The dates in S, T,
U, and V respectively are
10/1/2007 8/11/2008 10/1/2007 4/1/2009. T is out of order. When I used
=S11<SMALL($S$11:$V$11,COLUMN()) in the Formula Is of Conditional
Formatting (not the wizard), and did conditional format as yellow, the
highlight was not returned. The dates are formatted as 3/14/2001. Do you
know what might be the problem? Thanks.

The COLUMN() parameter is not evaluating to the correct number since you are
not in COLUMN A.

You need to adjust it so that when that function is executed in col S, it will
return a 1.

Look at HELP for the COLUMN() worksheet function and also for the SMALL
worksheet function.

Also look at the function I previously recommended to you when you were asking
for a TRUE/FALSE response.

An appropriate formula for conditional formatting, given your range of date
entry, would be:

=S1<SMALL($S$1:$V$1,COLUMN()-COLUMN($R$1))
--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks. That's a good approach, but I want to check all four dates against
each other using IF and then use conditional formatting and do this only in
one cell. Can you assist further?