Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
BVZ BVZ is offline

Default Writing a rule in excel... I think

So I have a list of over 1500 people in my database and they all have email
addresses. I want to send an email to all these people so I copy and paste
them in to the "to" field in my email. Well it takes them out of excel and
puts them in there just fine but it only has a space between the email
addresses and not a comma or semi-colon. Is there any way to write a rule in
excel that says to put a comma or semi-colon on the end of each email
address?

Please help, I really do not want to sit there and put semi colons inbetween
each email address... That would take FOREVER!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In a new column enter the formula =A5&";" where A5 is your actual first
record and the column that contains the email address. Then cut and paste to
email and Delete the semi-colon at after the last address.

"BVZ" wrote:

So I have a list of over 1500 people in my database and they all have email
addresses. I want to send an email to all these people so I copy and paste
them in to the "to" field in my email. Well it takes them out of excel and
puts them in there just fine but it only has a space between the email
addresses and not a comma or semi-colon. Is there any way to write a rule in
excel that says to put a comma or semi-colon on the end of each email
address?

Please help, I really do not want to sit there and put semi colons inbetween
each email address... That would take FOREVER!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
BVZ BVZ is offline

Some of my fields are blank and some of the fields repeat themselves. How do
I get it to delete the duplicated items and how to I get it so that the
formula doesn't insert only a semi-colon into the fields that are blank to
begin with??

Thanks for the help so far

"BVZ" wrote:

So I have a list of over 1500 people in my database and they all have email
addresses. I want to send an email to all these people so I copy and paste
them in to the "to" field in my email. Well it takes them out of excel and
puts them in there just fine but it only has a space between the email
addresses and not a comma or semi-colon. Is there any way to write a rule in
excel that says to put a comma or semi-colon on the end of each email
address?

Please help, I really do not want to sit there and put semi colons inbetween
each email address... That would take FOREVER!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assuming that the formula that BVZ gave you would go into column E, then you
could amend it like this:

=IF(OR(A5="",A5=A4),E4,E4&A5&";")

When you copy this down it will give you a field which will tag all the
other addresses together, so you just need to copy/paste the final cell into
the "to" field of your email. This assumes that the addresses in column A
are sorted, so it misses out duplicates as well as blanks. You should ensure
that E4 is blank.

Hope this helps.

Pete

"BVZ" wrote:

So I have a list of over 1500 people in my database and they all have
email
addresses. I want to send an email to all these people so I copy and
paste
them in to the "to" field in my email. Well it takes them out of excel
and
puts them in there just fine but it only has a space between the email
addresses and not a comma or semi-colon. Is there any way to write a
rule in
excel that says to put a comma or semi-colon on the end of each email
address?

Please help, I really do not want to sit there and put semi colons
inbetween
each email address... That would take FOREVER!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You could add a helper column with =A1&";" and copy down.

Copy/paste as values and use that for your address list.

Visit Ron de Bruin's site to learn all you will ever need about emailing
from Excel.

http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail.htm

Download the SendMail add-in to make life easy.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP