Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
RJJ RJJ is offline

Default =+IF(P14=0,"",AVERAGE(D14:O14))

I was givin a spreadsheet for the purpose of extracting some data. Within
this workbook are a few formulas that I only want to understand.
Specifically, what is the =+IF part of the formula mean? How would you
explain the rest of this formula?

Richard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The + is a holdover from Lotus123, and is unnecessary. Read up on the IF
function to get some idea on how IFs work.
Effectively, If the value in cell P14 is equal to 0, then this formula will
display nothing (blank), otherwise, it will average the values in cell range
D14 through O14.
--
** John C **

"RJJ" wrote:

I was givin a spreadsheet for the purpose of extracting some data. Within
this workbook are a few formulas that I only want to understand.
Specifically, what is the =+IF part of the formula mean? How would you
explain the rest of this formula?

Richard

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

The + sign is a throwback to LOTUS 123 and does nothing but is tolerated by
Excel.

=IF(P14=0,"",AVERAGE(D14:O14))

Breaking the formula down it looks at P4

Do this if P4 <0 do this
=If(P4=0,do nothing,average the cells d14:14

Mike