Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default random decimal

I would like to add random decimals to one column in excel.
for example: 5.0 into 5.3, 10.0 into 10.1 and so on. Is this
possible?
Thank you for any info you may have.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Do you already have 5.0 and 10.0 entered in some cells?

If so, here's one way...

Enter this formula in some cell, assume X1:

=ROUND(RAND(),1)

Assume the numbers you want to change are in the range A1:A5

Select cell X1
Goto EditCopy
Select the range A1:A5
Goto EditPaste SpecialAddOK
With A1:A5 still selected
Goto EditCopy
Then EditPaste SpecialValuesOK

Delete cell X1

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

wrote in message
I would like to add random decimals to one column in excel.
for example: 5.0 into 5.3, 10.0 into 10.1 and so on. Is this
possible?
Thank you for any info you may have.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

wrote in message

I would like to add random decimals to one column in excel.
for example: *5.0 into 5.3, 10.0 into 10.1 and so on. Is this
possible?
Thank you for any info you may have.- Hide quoted text -

The column that I am trying to add the random decimals to is filled
with data. The data ranges from 3.0 to 40.0 I want to add the
decimals to this column so that each number has one decimal palce,
from 0 to 9. ex: 3.2 or 40.7
The first suggested formula i was given filled the cell with #######.
The second suggested formula just made a Zero.
I am not fluent in excel so if there is a part of the formula that you
do not show because it is obvious to most, please show.
Thank-you for your help
JC
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Alright, let's try a different approach.

Assume your numbers are in the range A1:A5
Enter this formula in B1:

=A1+ROUND(RAND(),1)

Copy down to B5
Select the range B1:B5
Goto EditCopy
Then, EditPaste SpecialValuesOK

Now, you can replace the original data, A1:A5, with the new modified data in
B1:B5.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

wrote in message

I would like to add random decimals to one column in excel.
for example: 5.0 into 5.3, 10.0 into 10.1 and so on. Is this
possible?
Thank you for any info you may have.- Hide quoted text -

The column that I am trying to add the random decimals to is filled
with data. The data ranges from 3.0 to 40.0 I want to add the
decimals to this column so that each number has one decimal palce,
from 0 to 9. ex: 3.2 or 40.7
The first suggested formula i was given filled the cell with #######.
The second suggested formula just made a Zero.
I am not fluent in excel so if there is a part of the formula that you
do not show because it is obvious to most, please show.
Thank-you for your help
JC

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

I think that this is what you want, suppose your numbers are in the range
A1:A100 then

1. enter this formula in an empty column, say B1:

=RANDBETWEEN(1,9)*0.1

2. Copy this formula down to B100
3. Select all the formulas and choose Copy
4. Select the range A1:A100 and choose Edit, Paste Special and turn on
Values and turn on Add, then click OK.
5. Get rid of the formulas in column B

Thanks,
Shane Devenshire