Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Ranking by type

i have a list of items that need to be rank by type. example:

col A Col b Col c
Item # Type
1 A 89%
2 B 78%
3 B 66%
4 C 77%
5 A 78.8%
6 C 67%
etc..

of course the list is a little longer but continguous. i want to have
rankings ascending by value in column C and by Type (column B). So, Item 5,
would be ranked #1 out of the A pool and item 1 would be #2 in A pool.

if someone could help me out that would be greeat.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(B$2:B$7=B2),--(C2C$2:C$7))+1

Copy down as needed

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Steven Cheng" wrote in message
i have a list of items that need to be rank by type. example:

col A Col b Col c
Item # Type
1 A 89%
2 B 78%
3 B 66%
4 C 77%
5 A 78.8%
6 C 67%
etc..

of course the list is a little longer but continguous. i want to have
rankings ascending by value in column C and by Type (column B). So, Item
5,
would be ranked #1 out of the A pool and item 1 would be #2 in A pool.

if someone could help me out that would be greeat.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What does the -- mean or do?

"T. Valko" wrote:

Try this:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(B$2:B$7=B2),--(C2C$2:C$7))+1

Copy down as needed