Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Using "Sum" function with Europian numbers

I'm from USA. I handle lots of data with Europian (German) standards. When I
use the "sum" function, it's not working for me. For example when I add
5.000,00 and 2.000,00 (written in German standards) I should get a total of
7.000,00. But the system is showing errors (since I'm using US version of
excel). How to correct this issue so that I can get correct totals.

Aman
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What's the problem? If I open a workbook created in Germany the numbers
will be converted to whatever system I use. In Excel 2003 under
toolsoptionsinternational I can set the type of number delimiters I was
with regards to thousand and decimals separators.

Finally you can change the regional setting temporarily .

Peo Sjoblom

"Aman" wrote in message
I'm from USA. I handle lots of data with Europian (German) standards. When
use the "sum" function, it's not working for me. For example when I add
5.000,00 and 2.000,00 (written in German standards) I should get a total
of
7.000,00. But the system is showing errors (since I'm using US version of
excel). How to correct this issue so that I can get correct totals.

Aman

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

You say you are getting "Errors", what error, show us what you expect and
what you get.

One thing you can do is choose Tools, Options, International and make sure
the settings in the Number handling area are correct. You may need to check
or uncheck Use system separators, and if checked you may need to change the
Decimal separator and/or the Thousands separator.
--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire