Earl

Default How do I sum and add * on each side based on value in excel?

I have four columns of data. The first is the maximum no. allowed, the second
is the last period total, the third is the current period total and the
fourth is the sum of two and three. The typical sum function works fine until
the fourth column equals the first, this is where I want to place an asterisk
before and after the sum. This would indicate that the vlue has reached it's
max.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

Ken Hudson

Hi Earl,
Try this in column D:

=IF(B1+C1=A1,"*" & B1+C1 & "*",B1+C1)

"Earl" wrote:

I have four columns of data. The first is the maximum no. allowed, the second
is the last period total, the third is the current period total and the
fourth is the sum of two and three. The typical sum function works fine until
the fourth column equals the first, this is where I want to place an asterisk
before and after the sum. This would indicate that the vlue has reached it's
max.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

Earl

Ken,
Thx for the reply.
When I apply the formula it returns *0* whether column D has reached it's
max. or not.

The closest I have gotten is; =IF(B1+C1=A1,"Maximum Reached",SUM(B1+C1)) .

This is not what I want but maybe the only solution.

"Ken Hudson" wrote:

Hi Earl,
Try this in column D:

=IF(B1+C1=A1,"*" & B1+C1 & "*",B1+C1)

"Earl" wrote:

I have four columns of data. The first is the maximum no. allowed, the second
is the last period total, the third is the current period total and the
fourth is the sum of two and three. The typical sum function works fine until
the fourth column equals the first, this is where I want to place an asterisk
before and after the sum. This would indicate that the vlue has reached it's
max.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

JulieD

Hi Earl

try
=IF(AND(B1<"",C1<"",A1<"",B1+C1=A1),"*"&B1+C1&" *",B1+C1)

--
Cheers
JulieD

.

This is not what I want but maybe the only solution.

"Ken Hudson" wrote:

Hi Earl,
Try this in column D:

=IF(B1+C1=A1,"*" & B1+C1 & "*",B1+C1)

"Earl" wrote:

I have four columns of data. The first is the maximum no. allowed, the
second
is the last period total, the third is the current period total and the
fourth is the sum of two and three. The typical sum function works fine
until
the fourth column equals the first, this is where I want to place an
asterisk
before and after the sum. This would indicate that the vlue has reached
it's
max.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

Ken Hudson

Earl,
Sorry, I guess I didn't understand your data/question. Could you please put
up a few sample rows and your expected result in column D to look at?

"Earl" wrote:

Ken,
Thx for the reply.
When I apply the formula it returns *0* whether column D has reached it's
max. or not.

The closest I have gotten is; =IF(B1+C1=A1,"Maximum Reached",SUM(B1+C1)) .

This is not what I want but maybe the only solution.

"Ken Hudson" wrote:

Hi Earl,
Try this in column D:

=IF(B1+C1=A1,"*" & B1+C1 & "*",B1+C1)

"Earl" wrote:

I have four columns of data. The first is the maximum no. allowed, the second
is the last period total, the third is the current period total and the
fourth is the sum of two and three. The typical sum function works fine until
the fourth column equals the first, this is where I want to place an asterisk
before and after the sum. This would indicate that the vlue has reached it's
max.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

Earl

JulieD:

The formula is exactly what I was looking for.

One follow up thought: Is there a way to amend the formula to 'flag' if the
values entered exceed the maximum?

Thx.
Earl

"Earl" wrote in message
Ken,
Thx for the reply.
When I apply the formula it returns *0* whether column D has reached it's
max. or not.

The closest I have gotten is; =IF(B1+C1=A1,"Maximum Reached",SUM(B1+C1))
.

This is not what I want but maybe the only solution.

"Ken Hudson" wrote:

Hi Earl,
Try this in column D:

=IF(B1+C1=A1,"*" & B1+C1 & "*",B1+C1)

"Earl" wrote:

I have four columns of data. The first is the maximum no. allowed, the
second
is the last period total, the third is the current period total and the
fourth is the sum of two and three. The typical sum function works fine
until
the fourth column equals the first, this is where I want to place an
asterisk
before and after the sum. This would indicate that the vlue has reached
it's
max.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

JulieD

Hi Earl

glad we're getting there, how about
=IF(COUNT(A1:C1)=3,IF(B1+C1A1,"Exceeded",IF(B1+C1 =A1,"*"&B1+C1&"*",B1+C1)),B1+C1)
--
Cheers
JulieD

"Earl" wrote in message
Ken,
Thx for the reply.
When I apply the formula it returns *0* whether column D has reached
it's
max. or not.

The closest I have gotten is; =IF(B1+C1=A1,"Maximum
Reached",SUM(B1+C1))
.

This is not what I want but maybe the only solution.

"Ken Hudson" wrote:

Hi Earl,
Try this in column D:

=IF(B1+C1=A1,"*" & B1+C1 & "*",B1+C1)

"Earl" wrote:

I have four columns of data. The first is the maximum no. allowed,
the
second
is the last period total, the third is the current period total and
the
fourth is the sum of two and three. The typical sum function works
fine
until
the fourth column equals the first, this is where I want to place an
asterisk
before and after the sum. This would indicate that the vlue has
reached
it's
max.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

Earl

Thx. This is exactly what I wanted.

"Earl" wrote in message
Ken,
Thx for the reply.
When I apply the formula it returns *0* whether column D has reached
it's
max. or not.

The closest I have gotten is; =IF(B1+C1=A1,"Maximum
Reached",SUM(B1+C1))
.

This is not what I want but maybe the only solution.

"Ken Hudson" wrote:

Hi Earl,
Try this in column D:

=IF(B1+C1=A1,"*" & B1+C1 & "*",B1+C1)

"Earl" wrote:

I have four columns of data. The first is the maximum no. allowed,
the
second
is the last period total, the third is the current period total and
the
fourth is the sum of two and three. The typical sum function works
fine
until
the fourth column equals the first, this is where I want to place an
asterisk
before and after the sum. This would indicate that the vlue has
reached
it's
max.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

JulieD

you're welcome

"Earl" wrote in message
Ken,
Thx for the reply.
When I apply the formula it returns *0* whether column D has reached
it's
max. or not.

The closest I have gotten is; =IF(B1+C1=A1,"Maximum
Reached",SUM(B1+C1))
.

This is not what I want but maybe the only solution.

"Ken Hudson" wrote:

Hi Earl,
Try this in column D:

=IF(B1+C1=A1,"*" & B1+C1 & "*",B1+C1)