Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Logical Test with multiple cells

I am trying to configure a function that will automatically do this:

If value in cell D3=P, then insert the value in cell C3 into cell G3. I want
to insert this function all the way down column G, so that I have a new
column listing values labelled by me as "P" (see next note), which I will
then apply a "sum" function to.

Column C has a dollar value, D lists W for "work" and P for "personal". I
want all personal values added up independantly and automatically from all
work values (having one cell for each running total).

There might be an easier way to do this; I am not familiar with the concept
of names. I have trouble understanding the MS help wording, I need a MS help
dictionary!

I have tried to do several other things along this line, if A1=#, then put
C4 in G6, etc. etc. The only conditional function I know how to type is
IF(ISERROR...).

Please help! Thank you!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you want a conditional sum of cells in column C where the corresponding
cell in column D = P:

=SUMIF(D3:D100,"P",C3:C100)

Adjust the ranges to suit.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Deanna" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

You can try this formula in cell G3

=if(D3="P",C3,0) and copy down

From your question, I understand that you want to sum up all the amounts
where the value in column D is "P". If that is indeed the case, then you
can use the SUMIF() function

=sumif(D3:D100,"P",C3:C100). The result of this function will be summation
of all amounts where the value in column D is "P"

Hope this helps.

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com