Junior Member

Default Counting days

I assign work to fellow employees. Most of them have certain amount of days to complete the assignment. I want to enter a date and then another date is genarated and placed in another cell. for exsample:

Recieved documents on 10/5/05 and the document packet must be completed by 10/10/05. As you can see I gave my employee 5 days to complete the document packet. What formula will I need to uses this? Thanks

Last edited by tinkertron : April 6th 05 at 03:32 AM
Jason Morin

=A1 + 5

where A1 contains the "receive documents" date.

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

I assign work to fellow employees. Most of the have

--
tinkertron
.

macropod

This is a simple subtraction of one date from the other, with the result
formatted as general or numeric - Excel will give you a date format for the
answer by default.

Cheers

"tinkertron" wrote in message

I assign work to fellow employees. Most of the have certain amount of
days to complete the assignment. I want to enter a date and then
another date is genarated and placed in another cell. for exsample:

Recieved documents on 10/5/05 and the document packet must be completed
by 10/10/05. As you can see I gave my employee 5 days to complete the
document packet. What formula will I need to uses this? Thanks

--
tinkertron

DaveShoe

Greetings:

I am unclear on what you are searching for, however I will give it a
try:

If you are saying that you have 2 columns, each with a date and you
want to know the difference between the two, you can use a simple
subtraction formula.

if: a2=feb 3 and b2= jan 20
=a2-b2 gives you "14".

Be sure to format this last column as a number or general. You could
achieve similar results if you need to add days to dates, in which it
would yield a new date.
=a2 + 5 gives "feb 8"

Good Luck.

Dave

--
DaveShoe
DaveShoe's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=315

Junior Member

It's really simply on what I want. I'll receive a case file, lets say I have two columns. Lets say the file comes in on 05/05/05 and I place this date in cell A1, and in the second column i want a date to be automactly inserted into the second column by how many days it takes to work the file. In my case it would be 5 days. So whats the formula that I would place in A1 cell to have A2 to insert a date?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveShoe
Greetings:

I am unclear on what you are searching for, however I will give it a
try:

If you are saying that you have 2 columns, each with a date and you
want to know the difference between the two, you can use a simple
subtraction formula.

if: a2=feb 3 and b2= jan 20
=a2-b2 gives you "14".

Be sure to format this last column as a number or general. You could
achieve similar results if you need to add days to dates, in which it
would yield a new date.
=a2 + 5 gives "feb 8"

Good Luck.

Dave

--
DaveShoe
DaveShoe's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=315

Biff

Hi!

If you enter a date in cell A1 put this formula in cell A2:

=A1+5

OR, to be more thorough, you would first test cell A1 to
make sure it has a date in it:

=IF(ISNUMBER(A1),A1+5,"")

This will leave cell A2 blank if a date hasn't been
entered into cell A1.

Biff