Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Combination of / and 8 deletes the column

I have found that I occassionally hit the / and the 8 key together (by
mistake) and that it deletes the column. Is this supposed to happen?
Is there any way to turn the feature off? I know that the best way to
avoid the deleted column is to not use that combination of keys, but
mistakes happen.

I am using Excel 2007

Thanks

den
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
~L ~L is offline

In Excel 2007 the numpad / functions like the alt key to access items on the
quick command menu and the ribbon. If you click the down arrow on the
command shortcut tab on the uppermost bar (above the ribbon at the top of the
window) I'm guessing you have 'delete sheet columns' as one of the commands.
With numlock on, hitting numpad 8 will activate this command when it is the
8th command on that shortcut bar.

Since turning numlock off is not really a good solution and those two keys
are right next to each other, I can see this happening.

By unchecking multiple commands, then rechecking them in a particular order,
you can rearrange that command shortcut bar to put 8 as something more
harmless, otherwise if you still want to use the 9th command but know you'll
continue to hit those buttons together, create a macro that does nothing and
assign it to the 8th spot, then assign something to the 9th spot.

" wrote:

I have found that I occassionally hit the / and the 8 key together (by
mistake) and that it deletes the column. Is this supposed to happen?
Is there any way to turn the feature off? I know that the best way to
avoid the deleted column is to not use that combination of keys, but
mistakes happen.

I am using Excel 2007

Thanks

den

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
~L ~L is offline

Also, if you put alt T then letter O, this will take you to the options menu.
On the advanced tab at the bottom under 'Lotus Compatability' you will find
"Microsoft Office Excel Menu Key:" with / in the field. Delete the / and it
won't have that function anymore.

" wrote:

I have found that I occassionally hit the / and the 8 key together (by
mistake) and that it deletes the column. Is this supposed to happen?
Is there any way to turn the feature off? I know that the best way to
avoid the deleted column is to not use that combination of keys, but
mistakes happen.

I am using Excel 2007

Thanks

den

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

" wrote:

I have found that I occassionally hit the / and the 8 key together (by
mistake) and that it deletes the column. *Is this supposed to happen?
Is there any way to turn the feature off? *I know that the best way to
avoid the deleted column is to not use that combination of keys, but
mistakes happen.

I am using Excel 2007

Thanks

den- Hide quoted text -

Thank you very much! That explains why it happened so many times in
August. I turned off the feature, per your second suggestion.

Again, thank you.

den
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

" wrote:

I have found that I occassionally hit the / and the 8 key together (by
mistake) and that it deletes the column. *Is this supposed to happen?
Is there any way to turn the feature off? *I know that the best way to
avoid the deleted column is to not use that combination of keys, but
mistakes happen.

I am using Excel 2007

Thanks

den- Hide quoted text -

Thank you very much! *That explains why it happened so many times in
August. *I turned off the feature, per your second suggestion.

Again, thank you.

den- Hide quoted text -

Also, you were right on about the delete column command on the
ribbon. It occupies the number eight place and was being activated by
my hitting the /.

dt