Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CIL CIL is offline

Default Cell has several values how to create new rows

Good evening,

I have been given a Spreadsheet at work that was developed (MADE) by several
non-excel users, they more or less made a note pad with hundreds of lines of
info that I need.

I have cleaned most of the easier clutter from the sheet but have one area
that I am having a problem with.

We are using Excel 07. The sheet has columns A-N and is 1581 rows in
length. Most cells have only one word or one number, however there are some
that have many more and it appears that they were put in using the Alt Enter
and entered the info. The cells that have the info are part numbers that
are interchangeable on the equipment but are not playing together when I am
attempting to sort, "vlookup", etc.

Question is how can I take the cell lets say "A2" that has 3 inputs and make
it into cells A2, A3 & A4?

thanks in advance,

cil

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

One way (at the cell level) is to copy the cell, past it into Word, copy and
paste back to Excel.
It will split on ALT-ENTER

--
Always provide your feedback...

"CIL" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

This may not be the most elegant but it works - assume your data is in
column B starting on row 1
In C1 enter =LEFT(B1,FIND(CHAR(10),B1,1)-1)
in D1 enter =MID(B1,FIND(CHAR(10),B1,1)+1,100)
Highlight C1:D1 and copy it, paste it in E1:F1
This will break up three lines of data separated by the Alt+Enter character.

Click the yes button if this was helpful, (right side)
--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire