-   -   Must save to view formula results (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/206471-must-save-view-formula-results.html)

S R

Must save to view formula results

I'm doing a sum on a single column of numbers =sum(d3:d50). After updating
new values to the column I now must save the worksheet to view the updated
formula results. I've been using this worksheet for over a year and suddenly
this happened.
Excel 2003, SP3, Office Professional

John C[_2_]

Must save to view formula results

Check Tools|Options, Calculation tab, and ensure the Automatic calculation is
checked.

This is excel wide, not workbook specific, so, if you open a book that has
manual calculations, any other books you open after that (with the first one
still open), will switch to manual calculations. The reverse is also true.
The first workbook opened determines how any subsequent workbooks will
calculate.

Hope this helps.
--
John C

"S R" wrote:

I'm doing a sum on a single column of numbers =sum(d3:d50). After updating
new values to the column I now must save the worksheet to view the updated
formula results. I've been using this worksheet for over a year and suddenly
this happened.
Excel 2003, SP3, Office Professional

Peo Sjoblom[_2_]

Must save to view formula results

Toolsoptionscalculation make sure it is automatic

Peo Sjoblom

"S R" <S wrote in message
I'm doing a sum on a single column of numbers =sum(d3:d50). After updating
new values to the column I now must save the worksheet to view the updated
formula results. I've been using this worksheet for over a year and
suddenly
this happened.
Excel 2003, SP3, Office Professional

Charles Williams

Must save to view formula results

Sounds like Calculation is set to Manual:
Try Tools--Options--Calculation--Automatic

Charles
The Excel Calculation Site
http://www.decisionmodels.com

"S R" <S wrote in message
I'm doing a sum on a single column of numbers =sum(d3:d50). After updating
new values to the column I now must save the worksheet to view the updated
formula results. I've been using this worksheet for over a year and
suddenly
this happened.
Excel 2003, SP3, Office Professional

S R[_2_]

Must save to view formula results

Thanks. This looks to be the fix. I must have opened a spreadsheet set to
manual prior. Thanks again!

"S R" wrote:

I'm doing a sum on a single column of numbers =sum(d3:d50). After updating
new values to the column I now must save the worksheet to view the updated
formula results. I've been using this worksheet for over a year and suddenly
this happened.
Excel 2003, SP3, Office Professional

Mike H

Must save to view formula results

and just to add the reason saving updates things is that save forces a
calculate

Mike

"S R" wrote:

I'm doing a sum on a single column of numbers =sum(d3:d50). After updating
new values to the column I now must save the worksheet to view the updated
formula results. I've been using this worksheet for over a year and suddenly
this happened.
Excel 2003, SP3, Office Professional

John C[_2_]

Must save to view formula results

You are welcome, thanks for the feedback. :)
--
John C