Junior Member

Default Use workbook name as value

Hi, I am using the name of the workbook as a serial number too. I would like to use a formula, so that the serial # column reflects the new workbook name, every time I open a new workbook using the "save as" function.

regards, seby
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Enter this into a cell to return the filename.

=MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("[",CELL("filename",A1),1)+1,FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1),1)-FIND("[",CELL("filename",A1),1)-1)

Note: file must have been saved a to least once.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 08:26:40 +0100, sebyjohn73
wrote:

Hi, I am using the name of the workbook as a serial number too. I would
like to use a formula, so that the serial # column reflects the new
workbook name, every time I open a new workbook using the "save as"
function.

regards, seby

Junior Member

Thank you very much

regards, Seby

[quote=Gord Dibben;739378]Enter this into a cell to return the filename.