Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I count a red number

How do i count a range of cells that have a red character; like a red 0?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What determines if something is red? Is it conditional formatting? You could
just do a count based on the conditional formatting if it is.
--
John C

How do i count a range of cells that have a red character; like a red 0?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Why are some numbers red? That's what John C meant. They're red for a
reason, right?

You can write a formula based on the logic of *why* the numbers are red.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"force530" wrote:

How do i count a range of cells that have a red character; like a red
0?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

They are red because the font color was changed, no conditions. I didnt
change them, a spreadsheet was sent to me with these numbers already changed.
Because there are more than 26,000 records in this file, I thought I could
write a formula to count the number of red 0's to get a quicker result.

"force530" wrote:

How do i count a range of cells that have a red character; like a red
0?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ok, then it's complicated!

See these:

http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/colors.aspx

http://xldynamic.com/source/xld.ColourCounter.html

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"force530" wrote:

How do i count a range of cells that have a red character; like a
red
0?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If there are no conditions why do you want to count them?

There must be a reason you want to count them and that reason would be the
condition?

Peo Sjoblom

"force530" wrote:

How do i count a range of cells that have a red character; like a
red
0?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you just want to count the red numbers.........

Select all cells then EditFindFormatFormatFontColorRed and OK

Find All.

In the "found" dialog box select top entry then SHIFT + End + Downarrow

On Status bar right-click and select "Count"

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"force530" wrote:

How do i count a range of cells that have a red character; like a
red
0?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You need VBA code to do that. I have lots of examples, including
summing by color, at http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.aspx

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft Most Valuable Professional