Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Counting number of characters in a cell

I have a column with many rows of text (brief product descriptions). I need
to identify which cells have a content of more than 35 characters, since I
will need to alter these cells to make them fit a database. Does anyone know
how to do so? Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

to test the length use

=Len(a1)

to return the leftmost 35 characters you don't need to test simply use

=Left(a1,35)

If the cell is <35 you get all the characters

Mike

"Still learning" wrote:

I have a column with many rows of text (brief product descriptions). I need
to identify which cells have a content of more than 35 characters, since I
will need to alter these cells to make them fit a database. Does anyone know
how to do so? Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Use this function:

=LEN(A1)

to tell you how many characters (length) are in A1.

You can also use:

=LEFT(A1,35)

to give you the first 35 characters from A1.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Oct 14, 12:38*pm, Still learning
wrote:
I have a column with many rows of text (brief product descriptions). I need
to identify which cells have a content of more than 35 characters, since I
will need to alter these cells to make them fit a database. Does anyone know
how to do so? Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You're welcome - thanks for feeding back.

Pete