Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Need formula to calculate/add cells with certain designation

I need a sales spreadsheet that can add up only certain cells in one column
that have a particular designation - such as those products that are ACTIVE
or DISCONTINUED (noted as A or D in a separate column). These cells/lines
cannot be grouped together and are too numerous to simply touch-highlight
each cell, PLUS the designation will be changed for some cells on a regular
basis. Is there a formula that will allow me to only add up those lines
that are designated A? Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

SUMIF is what you're after:

=SUMIF(DesignationColumn,"A",ValueColumn)

eg if Values were in G column and Designation in col B the formula wouldbe:

=SUMIF(B:B,"A","G:G")

assuming the formula itself is not in either the G or B columns (to avoid a
circular reference - you can restrict the ranges if required eg use B2:B100
instead of B:B). The criteria ie "A" can be a reference to a cell holding
this value.

Best regards

Richard

"Dale08406" wrote in message
I need a sales spreadsheet that can add up only certain cells in one column
that have a particular designation - such as those products that are
ACTIVE
or DISCONTINUED (noted as A or D in a separate column). These cells/lines
cannot be grouped together and are too numerous to simply touch-highlight
each cell, PLUS the designation will be changed for some cells on a
regular
basis. Is there a formula that will allow me to only add up those lines
that are designated A? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try something like this:

=SUMIF(A1:A100,"A",B1:B100)

Sums column B where column A = A

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Dale08406" wrote in message
I need a sales spreadsheet that can add up only certain cells in one column
that have a particular designation - such as those products that are
ACTIVE
or DISCONTINUED (noted as A or D in a separate column). These cells/lines
cannot be grouped together and are too numerous to simply touch-highlight
each cell, PLUS the designation will be changed for some cells on a
regular
basis. Is there a formula that will allow me to only add up those lines
that are designated A? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It sounds like you need SUMIF - the syntax is =SUMIF(range, criteria,
sumrange), so it should look something like
=SUMIF(B5:B3000,"Active",C5:C3000)

On Oct 8, 2:26*pm, Dale08406
wrote:
I need a sales spreadsheet that can add up only certain cells in one column
that have a particular designation - such as those products that are ACTIVE
or DISCONTINUED (noted as A or D in a separate column). *These cells/lines
cannot be grouped together and are too numerous to simply touch-highlight
each cell, PLUS the designation will be changed for some cells on a regular
basis. * Is there a formula that will allow me to only add up those lines
that are designated A? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you so much! This worked! :-) I need to play around with it a bit
because my need is actually more complex, but this is the formula that
will/should get me where I need to be. I appreciate the fast and clear help!
-Dale