Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
NWO NWO is offline

Default Data list

Hello

I have a list of 40,000 records.

The records are grouped by a receipt number, a receipt date, and time stamp.
So, for example, there can be 10 records with the same receipt number, 4
different dates, with each record having a time stamp. Now the list is
sorted in the following order - Receipt Number, Date, Time Stamp. What I am
attempting to accomplish is to identify the last record in each record set
based on the most recent date,and ifmore than one date then the latest time
stamp. How would I accomplish this using Excel?

Thank you.

Mark

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What exactly are you looking for? The reporting aspect of your
question is a little vague.

If you'd like to be able to select a specific receipt and see all the
records, but also be able to select a date and see all receipts, then
you may want to try Autofilter (Excel 2003: Data/Filter/Autofilter
with a piece of data selected), so that you could filter by any
variable. Add to that a SUBTOTAL function that targets MAX and it will
indicate the latest date, highest number etc.
In order for Autofilter to work for you, your data must not have any
blank rows or columns. Excel requires contiguous data to consider it a
database.

There are also Advanced Filter options and Pivot Tables, but those
might be harder to manage.

On Oct 7, 5:25*pm, NWO wrote:
Hello

I have a list of 40,000 records.

The records are grouped by a receipt number, a receipt date, and time stamp.
*So, for example, there can be 10 records with the same receipt number, 4
different dates, with each record having a time stamp. *Now the list is
sorted in the following order - Receipt Number, Date, Time Stamp. *What I am
attempting to accomplish is to identify the last record in each record set
based on the most recent date,and ifmore than one date then the latest time
stamp. *How would I accomplish this using Excel?

Thank you.

Mark

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
NWO NWO is offline

Record 1: 12345, 5/5/2008,1000
Record 2: 12345, 5/5/2008,1005
Record 3: 12345, 5/6/2008,1008
Record 4: 12345, 5/6/2008,1100

Above represents sample records. I want Excel to pick the last record, in
the above case, Record 4, then go to the next set of similar records and give
me the last record in that set, and so on through the 40000 record total.
I'm not looking for totals, just extracting the last record for each receipt
number (i.e. 12345).