Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default SUM cells with blank value

I have a table where I need to Sumarize different columns.

Eg:
=C9+E9+G9+I9+K9+M9+O9+Q9+S9+U9+W9 but in this row E9 and M9 have no data as
all these cells have their own formula from other files like
='[2008-dosbocas-porcompr.xls]DosBocas (mat)'!G6, ecc. So, in this case these
E9 and M9 have no values.

The problem is that I am not able to use the first formula as I get a #value
error.
What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try using the SUM function. It will ignore any text entries.

=SUM(C9,E9,G9,I9,K9,M9,O9,Q9,S9,U9,W9)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"PaulinaDi" wrote in message
I have a table where I need to Sumarize different columns.

Eg:
=C9+E9+G9+I9+K9+M9+O9+Q9+S9+U9+W9 but in this row E9 and M9 have no data
as
all these cells have their own formula from other files like
='[2008-dosbocas-porcompr.xls]DosBocas (mat)'!G6, ecc. So, in this case
these
E9 and M9 have no values.

The problem is that I am not able to use the first formula as I get a
#value
error.
What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I guess I tried this formula before and not sure what happened but right now
it worked fine.
And, to have a blank cell if I have no value on this row? how do I complete
it with the If funcion?

"PaulinaDi" wrote in message
I have a table where I need to Sumarize different columns.

Eg:
=C9+E9+G9+I9+K9+M9+O9+Q9+S9+U9+W9 but in this row E9 and M9 have no data
as
all these cells have their own formula from other files like
='[2008-dosbocas-porcompr.xls]DosBocas (mat)'!G6, ecc. So, in this case
these
E9 and M9 have no values.

The problem is that I am not able to use the first formula as I get a
#value
error.
What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks David. This formula seems to be similar to the one John sent to me.
What does the number 2 at the end mean?
And how am I able to use it with the If funcion in order to have a blank
value if I have no data? for example those months still in blank like
October, November and December.

"PaulinaDi" wrote in message
I have a table where I need to Sumarize different columns.

Eg:
=C9+E9+G9+I9+K9+M9+O9+Q9+S9+U9+W9 but in this row E9 and M9 have no data
as
all these cells have their own formula from other files like
='[2008-dosbocas-porcompr.xls]DosBocas (mat)'!G6, ecc. So, in this case
these
E9 and M9 have no values.

The problem is that I am not able to use the first formula as I get a
#value
error.
What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

One way:

=IF(COUNT(C9,E9,G9,I9,K9,M9,O9,Q9,S9,U9,W9),SUM(C9 ,E9,G9,I9,K9,M9,O9,Q9,S9,U9,W9),"")

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"PaulinaDi" wrote in message
I have a table where I need to Sumarize different columns.

Eg:
=C9+E9+G9+I9+K9+M9+O9+Q9+S9+U9+W9 but in this row E9 and M9 have no
data
as
all these cells have their own formula from other files like
='[2008-dosbocas-porcompr.xls]DosBocas (mat)'!G6, ecc. So, in this case
these
E9 and M9 have no values.

The problem is that I am not able to use the first formula as I get a
#value
error.
What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Read up on what the MOD function does.

Essentially, it is taking columns C through W (which is column numbers 3
through 23), and dividing by 2. If the remainder is 1 (i.e.: an odd column),
then it will be SUMmed, if the remainder is 0 (i.e.: even columns between C &
W, such as D, F, H, etc), then it will be ignored.
--
John C

"PaulinaDi" wrote:

I have a table where I need to Sumarize different columns.

Eg:
=C9+E9+G9+I9+K9+M9+O9+Q9+S9+U9+W9 but in this row E9 and M9 have no data as
all these cells have their own formula from other files like
='[2008-dosbocas-porcompr.xls]DosBocas (mat)'!G6, ecc. So, in this case these
E9 and M9 have no values.

The problem is that I am not able to use the first formula as I get a #value
error.
What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you want to know what the parameters in the syntax of the MOD function
are, why not try looking at the Excel help for the MOD function?

I don't understand what you are trying to ask for the second part of your
question.
If you are saying that you want a blank result if there are no entries in
the row in question, try
=IF(COUNT(C9:W9)=0,"",SUMPRODUCT(C9:W9,MOD(COLUMN( C9:W9),2)))
--
David Biddulph