Ronnie

Default how can I add cells in hours and minutes, eg 1.15 +1.45 to equal .

I am currently using Excel on a spread sheet to calculate hours and minutes.
I need to know how to convert the time entered so that it will calculate as
time and not normal figures. EG if I enter 1.15 and 1.45 I need it to total
as 3 hours and not 2.60.

Can you help.

Bernie Deitrick

Ronnie,

Enter 1 hour and 15 minutes as 1:15:00, not as 1.15. The same for 1:45:00.

Then simply format your cells as time, including the cell where you add the
two together.

But to do some math, such as calculating wages, you will need to convert the
time to hours by multiplying by 24 first.

See http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datetime.htm

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Ronnie" wrote in message
I am currently using Excel on a spread sheet to calculate hours and

minutes.
I need to know how to convert the time entered so that it will calculate

as
time and not normal figures. EG if I enter 1.15 and 1.45 I need it to

total
as 3 hours and not 2.60.

Can you help.

Harlan Grove

Bernie Deitrick wrote...
Enter 1 hour and 15 minutes as 1:15:00, not as 1.15. The same for

1:45:00.

If the OP can do so, using standard time syntax is the best solution.
However, if the OP must use times in "[h]\.mm" format, there is a way
to accomodate them. If 1.15 were in cell A1 and 1.45 in cell A2, then
their sum as time would be given by

=--TEXT(SUMPRODUCT(--SUBSTITUTE(A1:A2,".",":")),"[h]\.mm")