-   -   HOW DO I USE CUSTOM TEXT (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/204538-how-do-i-use-custom-text.html)

ConfusedStar

HOW DO I USE CUSTOM TEXT

I am creating a spreadsheet for my companys NFL picks every week. Every
person picks differently and its a master speadsheet.
Instead of retyping out every single team name I thought there was an easier
way to get the names by having abbreviattions for them and then EXCEL putting
the actual names there.
For example:
A1 is the persons name
A2-A17 are the teams but instead of typing out "BUFFALO BILLS" I want to
type "BB" and excel automatically insert the full name.

Is there a way to do this?

Sheeloo[_2_]

HOW DO I USE CUSTOM TEXT

1. You can use VLOOKUP
2. You can also have a dropdwon on abbreviations which will pull the full name

All this will happen in the next cell where abbreviation is picked.

Assuming you have your abbreviations in Col E and full names in Col F

Put this in B1 if abbreviation is entered in A1
=VLOOKUP(A1,E:F,2,False)
You can have a default text like 'Enter abbreviated name here' and have one
entry for it in E & F to avoid #NA errors.
"ConfusedStar" wrote:

I am creating a spreadsheet for my companys NFL picks every week. Every
person picks differently and its a master speadsheet.
Instead of retyping out every single team name I thought there was an easier
way to get the names by having abbreviattions for them and then EXCEL putting
the actual names there.
For example:
A1 is the persons name
A2-A17 are the teams but instead of typing out "BUFFALO BILLS" I want to
type "BB" and excel automatically insert the full name.

Is there a way to do this?

Duke Carey

HOW DO I USE CUSTOM TEXT

Perhaps you are thinking of Autocorrect?

Tools-Autocorrect options

Enter the text you want to type, and the way you want Excel to replace it

"ConfusedStar" wrote:

I am creating a spreadsheet for my companys NFL picks every week. Every
person picks differently and its a master speadsheet.
Instead of retyping out every single team name I thought there was an easier
way to get the names by having abbreviattions for them and then EXCEL putting
the actual names there.
For example:
A1 is the persons name
A2-A17 are the teams but instead of typing out "BUFFALO BILLS" I want to
type "BB" and excel automatically insert the full name.

Is there a way to do this?

ConfusedStar

HOW DO I USE CUSTOM TEXT

I am not fully understanding what you wrote.
I tried it and it is coming up with an error.
I want to be able to type in BB and Buffalo Bills pop right up.
Is there another way to customize words so it is easier than setting up a
function??

"ConfusedStar" wrote:

I am creating a spreadsheet for my companys NFL picks every week. Every
person picks differently and its a master speadsheet.
Instead of retyping out every single team name I thought there was an easier
way to get the names by having abbreviattions for them and then EXCEL putting
the actual names there.
For example:
A1 is the persons name
A2-A17 are the teams but instead of typing out "BUFFALO BILLS" I want to
type "BB" and excel automatically insert the full name.

Is there a way to do this?

Sheeloo[_2_]

HOW DO I USE CUSTOM TEXT

You can enter the details in TOOLS-Auto Correct